Sign in to follow this  
Solitarium

Sega Dreamcast API

None of the major manufacturers has ever really made the API(s) or development kits for a retired platform available to the general public. Probably because even the old machines employ techniques that are proprietary and relevant to current machines, and to release them would put such trade secrets in the open.

And while Sega is arguably out of the home hardware business, it could re-enter at some point in the future. It could license technology to another manufacturer. And its technologies might be used in its arcade boards.

Basically, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Quote:
Original post by paranoya
Is there still people who play dreamcast (do they make games for it)

There's a homebrew scene that was very active for quite a while, even though it wasn't able to fully access the Dreamcast's power due to lack of documentation/APIs. (This was as far back as late 2000/early 2001, around which time I bought a used Dreamcast with the intention of doing some homebrew. Realizing that I'd be making games that were less sophisticated than what I had on my PC, I abandoned the platform. It's a little better now, but not enough to be truly viable.)

The GBA has eclipsed the Dreamcast as a homebrew development platform, and the development scenes for PS1/2, Xbox and even PSP garner far more attention than the Dreamcast now, even though they churn out less content than the GBA scene.

If you're looking for experience programming on a contemporary console, I'd say get into the GameBoy Advance. Check this site for tons of information, toolkits and tutorials.

There is no publicly available (free) documentation or API for the Sega Dreamcast, unfortunately. There are a few development kits that have been leaked in the past, that had a very comprehensive documentation, however that was for the real libraries, something that isn't quite legal to use. Your best bet is to just the freely available libraries and go through their documentation. You won't get anything from Sega's end.