Sign in to follow this  
CHollman82

Bouncy Ball Simulator Question

I made a program to simulate a bouncy ball. I know VERY LITTLE about physics but I know that the ball loses energy whenever it bounces, and as it rolls. Right now, whenever the ball hits the ground it loses 15% of the energy it had, I guess I want to know how close to accurate this would be for a common bouncy ball on a hard surface (concrete, hard wood floor, etc.)

Not sure, but if you look up "coefficient of restitution" and "bouncy ball" in a search engine, you may be able to find some tables of information. The coefficient of restitution represents an approximation to the way real objects lose energy as they collide.

Its accurate enough I guess. It also depends on the material of the ball, size of it, density of the ball, how perfect are the elastic collisions are.

So many factors, if you want as reallistic as possible you would need to conduct an experiment your self with a ball os the same type as the one you are trying to mimic on a computer program. This would be time consuming it's alot easier to just pick a number of how much energy% is lost and use it. 15% seems reasonable, noone will care how accurate it is, unless you are making a program to simulate realistic events if so the best way is through experiment.