Hydrino Power Controversy

Started by
87 comments, last by Jesper T 18 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by Stonicus
Quantum mechanics is accurate... _____________(fill in the blank)

We already know it probably isn't. It doesn't fit quite right with General Relativity, so one or the other, or both, are innaccurate.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Daerax
Apparantly there has been independently verified experimental evidence, although this claim is hard to believe with its only source being the guardian article. There is though, independent verification of the theoretical possibility of an energy state of hydrogen less than the ground state hence, one which is not an integer multiple, which is ->the bad news. It is still 136 less extra states than what Mills predicts however.
EDIT: found this: Wild Science: Entrepreneur Takes On Quantum Theory . Its been 5 years now.

The BlackLight website claims to have published it's experimental results in over 65 peer reviewed publications. Looking over the pdf bibliography, these include, European Physical Journal: Applied Physics, J. Appl. Phys., Am. Chem. Soc. Div. Fuel Chem. Prepr., J. Mater. Sci., Chemistry of Materials, Phys. D, Applied Physics, Thermochimica Acta, and so on. The majority of the dates of those publications are after 2000. You can find some of these papers on the BlackLight web site.

The Physicsweb article also reports that Mills theory has been verified by experiments, and puts the words into the mouth of Jan Naudts of the University of Antwerp: Naudts says that results of Mills and co-workers have recently been confirmed by a group at the Technical University of Eindhoven. Perhaps there's some mention of it here, Eindhoven University of Technology - Applied Physics, but I didn't find it. That website looks more like a brochure for the school more than anything else.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Heck, everyone says there about "independent confirmations". Any links directly to the confirming results? [lol] (Of course proponents often claim that it is confirmed even if it isn't.)
btw edit: whoops, this link was posted in OP.

my point: there is some _very_ small probability that something strange is really going on in this experiment, MUCH smaller probability that it has something to do with his "theory", and even smaller probability that you can get any power out of it by say 2007.

now why space agency people have to critique such stuff: space agencies very often spend large amount of money on BS without getting any useful results, and of course people who are doing genuine research don't like that.
Quote:Original post by Caitlin
I'm open to almost anything, in my opinion our 'understanding' of how the universe works is a little primitive. The main problem I have with it is that it assumes everything happens at a constant 'pace', stays constant, or has changed its 'pace' at a constand rate.

Not to go off topic, but in general relativity, time generally slows down under constant acceleration (and therefore in a uniform gravitational field) relative to an inertial frame of reference.

Quote:Original post by Diodor
I think the hydrino ought to be chemically inert, and as the lightest gas it would rise rapidly and flow out into space by itself.

Why would it be chemically inert? Assuming that all of quantum mechanics and chemistry isn't totally blown away by it, it still would have an incomplete outer shell(1s^1 if anyone cares) so it would at minimum form H2 (two hydrinos, or one hydrino + one regular hydrogen)

It would probably still be the lightest gas though, because it would beat out regular H2 since there is less energy in the electron state.

Besides, in order to be true, wouldn't the new energy level have to be an eigenstate of Schrodinger's equation? If not then this guy has a lot more than a new invention, he's revolutionized physics overthrowing every established principle of the last 100 years!
Here are some papers for anyone interested to go over and come to their own conclusions. Basically, it seems obvious that Mills et al have been able to come up with a way to make hydrogen behave in interesting ways, something I believe to be worthy of study. Perhaps a slight revision might be required (one which is actually needed anyway) in the quantum mechanics based on further and unbiased experimental results.

Mills theory however, reads like someone who not only does not grasp math but also, has little clue on physics and how nature works. Were his attempts at description and their conclusions true then it seems that they would posess a great deal more far reaching consequences. I doubt I would exist to type this if such were the case. Unless of course, hydrinos are exempt from certain conservation laws.

On the hydrino state of the relativistic hydrogen atom

THE BLACKLIGHT ROCKET ENGINE; A Phase I Study Funded by the NIAC CP 01-02 Advanced Aeronautical/Space Concept Studies Program

Evidence of Catalytic Production of Hot Atomic Hydrogen in RF Generated Hydrogen/Helium Plasmas
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Quote:
What has much of the physics world up in arms is Dr Mills's claim that he has produced a new form of hydrogen, the simplest of all the atoms, with just a single proton circled by one electron.

This can be read as though the reporter thought an ordinary hydrogen nucleus were more complex than that of the hydrino. :)
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
This can be read as though the reporter thought an ordinary hydrogen nucleus were more complex than that of the hydrino. :)

Yeah. The closest most reporters ever get to hydrogen is the water in their toilets.

@Dmytry - NASA's interest isn't in throwing away money but in developing a new fuel.

@Daerax - thanks for the links.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
This could be truly amazing. I hope it's not bull. I also hope (to no avail of course), that this won't be used to make bigger badder weapons. 1000x is a huge modifier. Missiles that could blow chunks out of the moon would not make me sleep better at night.
Hello all,

I came across this thread a couple days ago and have since gone over the BlackLight page, the Wikipedia article, and the Hydrino Study Group page linked to by the Wikipedia article (I also read a few of the news pieces written but they tend to be scant on details).

If you guys are looking for actual documentation of the confirmed experimental results, you can find it on the Hydrino Study Group page. They are supposed to be an independent study group that is discussing the theory and seem to be keeping an open mind as to whether its true or not. On that site they are hosting copies of the lab reports from the NASA Lewis Laboratory in Cleveland, Ohio; Westinghouse STC in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania; and the MIT Lincoln Laboratory among others.

I can't speak for the guy’s "Grand Unified Theory" (though it doesn't look like he's getting a fair response from the powers-that-be in the physics community) but it seems that his experimental results do show that something unusual is happening. Time and time again, the labs are reporting that the experiments are producing more heat than can be explained by normal chemical reactions and most of the conventional explanations that have been postulated by the critics have been, outright, debunked.

I'm not saying that the guy is right about the cause (though it would be cool if we could finally replace that inelegant, hole ridden, Quantum Mechanic theory with something more elegant) but its looking like there is, at least, something to his experiments/technology.

-Daedalus
DM's Rules:Rule #1: The DM is always right.Rule #2: If the DM is wrong, see rule #1.
Grand Unified Theory is the ultimate goal of astrophysics...to take their theories on all things tiny (quantum theory) and all things humungous (theory of relativity/gravity etc) and combine them into one huge theory that, given the state of the universe at time T, the state of the universe at time (T + k) could be computed.

A Brief History of Time by one Stephen Hawking is a tough but worthy ready for a glazing course on this stuff =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement