Sign in to follow this  
dk32321

clearing a part of the console screen

I know that system("cls") clears the whole console screen, but i want to know how do you clear a certian part of the screen, and olny that part. If anybody can help i will apprecaite it

Unfortunately, there isn't a standard way to do such things if you're using C or C++. If you're working on windows, you might want to look through the MSDN entries Console Functions and Consoles(Overview). Both contain a lot of helpful information, and somewhere between them I think there are a few examples of various things.

For linux or another OS, I have no idea how to do it.

A very cheap way to do it would be to just output "std::cout << std::endl;" until you have the correct space. This is not that good if the player has the number of rows in the console set differently than you or something.

Presuming Win32...

#include <windows.h>

void PartialConsoleClear( size_t start_column , size_t start_row , size_t end_column , size_t end_row ) {
//note: [begin,end) style ranges used (think iterators)
//this means [40,40) covers 0 elements.

HANDLE console_handle = GetStdHandle( STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE );

assert( start_column <= end_column );
assert( start_row <= end_row );

for ( size_t row = start_row ; row != end_row ; ++row ) {
COORD position;
position.X = start_column;
position.Y = row;
DWORD characters_writen;
FillConsoleOutputCharacter( console_handle , _T(' ') , end_column - start_column , position , & characters_written );
}
}

All gleaned from the insights of reading documentation.

Seriously check out the MSDN (allready linked) if you're going to be doing any windows specific programming.

Quote:
Original post by Extrarius
Unfortunately, there isn't a standard way to do such things if you're using C or C++. If you're working on windows, you might want to look through the MSDN entries Console Functions and Consoles(Overview). Both contain a lot of helpful information, and somewhere between them I think there are a few examples of various things.

For linux or another OS, I have no idea how to do it.

For your information there is a library called ncurses, accessible by curses.h. It is an incredible library and windows could seriously do with its own version.

ace

This site teaches you how to make a console window of whatever size you want and then write to a back buffer so you can display whatever you want:

http://benryves.com/tutorials/?t=winconsole&c=all

I made a console debugger for my ingame objects with it. I can type in (seperate input which is great) a certain command like "display ____" and it will list off that objects stats. It's very sloppy code that needs cleaning up but took only a few hours. Hope this helps you.