Sign in to follow this  
faizin

Can I use C++ to make 3D RPG?

Hello, Im just the beginner so now i am curious to ask something.Can I use C++ to make 3D RPG?Is it possible?I just want to know is it possible or not.Is it too hard? Thanks

Yes it's possible, in fact most commercial games today are written in C++. You'll need to learn a graphics API though like DirectX or OpenGL to get graphics on the screen.

I don't recommend trying to make a 3d RPG as you first project though because that is a huge undertaking, try something smaller like 2d or maybe 3d pong or something like that and work your way up.

Just like Ainokea writes: It's too hard for a beginner. But C++ is certainly a good tool to make such a game. Start by learning object oriented programming (OO) and make smaller programs and then gradually move on to more ambitious projects.

Check this online book out in order to start learning C++. The author is assuming that you already have some kind of programming experience, though.

I know you can use C++ to use OpenGL, but I've not been successful to compile anything for it. I have to use VC++ which I don't want to do because it makes my code Freaking huge, and my c++ code won't compile in VC++ so I'm going to have to re-write my code for a third time to make it work,.... *pouts*

Quote:
Original post by BladeStone
I know you can use C++ to use OpenGL, but I've not been successful to compile anything for it. I have to use VC++ which I don't want to do because it makes my code Freaking huge, and my c++ code won't compile in VC++ so I'm going to have to re-write my code for a third time to make it work,.... *pouts*

You don't have to use Visual C++. You can use mingw32 or lcc or Borland.
And that Visual C++ makes your code huge is wrong, if you mean executable size. In fact, GCC's compiles much larger executables than Visual C++.

And if your code doesn't compile in Visual C++ (assuming you are using a version larger than 7) is hardly the fault of the compiler (except if you are doing VERY advanced template magic).