Quote:Original post by Kest
Quote:Original post by Pluvious
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
"MONGO ATTACK ORCS"
"MERLIN HEAL ME"
"ALL TO ME"
"FRODO STAND FAST"
"MAGIC HAND HOLD THIS DOOR"

What year is this? Have I been transported into the future?

I definately think this is something that will take place with regularity in the future but its gonna be awhile...

Just to be annoying and state my opinion, I don't fancy yelling at my computer. I have to admit, calling out AI characters by name is a big advantage over menues or button mappings. But I would personally enjoy defining a huge number of keys over using voice commands for several hours. Not to mention that I can keep my insanity a secret for a little while longer. The constant yelling would start to give it away.

Of course with the number of option you are starting to have in some of these games you might start to run out of keys (or have trouble memorizing all of them). (Hmm shouting -- yeah I guess you would get stares, maybe in future someone will come up with a program that uses a WebCam to read lips)

Actually another use for Voice Recognition might be in an online game for talking between players -- converting speech to text to be sent to server and fowarded to other players (shown over head or on 'chat' window... or maybe converted back to speech). Ive played on one where when it got very busy maneuvering etc..(mouse and command keys..) and trying to talk by typing to another party member at the same time was almost impossible during the battle (usually single words or lame precanned messages).

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Its already been done in war/combat games. It would be original to a mideval game though. I think it would be pretty interesting.

I heard over a year ago in another forum mention of games that allowed commands to
squadmate NPCs. How many keywords or different commands do the those games make use of??

googly boo.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement