Any Suggestion For my RPG games?

Started by
11 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I want to make RPG Games.The battle style,I think I want to make realistic battle system which the character can attack the monsters anytime like RAGNAROK ONLINE and ZELDA which is not like a battle system in the Final Fantasy which is turn-based. The problem is how the other character to join the battle?In Final Fantasy the player can control the other characters too in the battle with the main character.But in the Real-Battle System,how can the other characters to attack.RAGNAROK ONLINE and ZELDA,the battle is just between the main characters only not with the other characters. Maybe I am wrong with the term like Real-Battle and Turn Based but I just hope that you all will understand and give me some suggestion about my problem. Thanks
Advertisement
Check out the mana series
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
Your team members are usually AI controlled in real-time combat. Actually, they always are. In some situations, the player could issue controls that the whole team follows, but that won't get you very far with up close and personal combat. AI usually still takes over and executes individual actions, such as slashing or casting a spell.

Sometimes the player can define behavior for AI team members. This is pretty cool. For instance, you could issue the behavior to watch your back to your most trusted thug. Or if you like dueling, have your whole party wait and prevent opponents from jumping into your 1-on-1 fights. It's also nice to be capable of leaving members behind to guard important areas and that kind of thing, but I'm probably getting off-subject.
In games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, you can give each of your party members different commands, give them all the same command, give some of them one command and the others another, etc.

That system works. Maybe you should check it out.
Quote:Original post by Tallun
In games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, you can give each of your party members different commands, give them all the same command, give some of them one command and the others another, etc.

That system works. Maybe you should check it out.

That system works fine, although I'd suggest anyone looking to the Bioware games for influence look at their more recen work with the Knights of The Old Republic games. The addition of a "command queue" allows the player to pick up to 4 actions for each character to execute in sequence.
Chech out Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
There you can choose which team member to control at any time, and AI controls the rest. You can pause the game though to issue commands for more than one character at once. I liked that battle system at least.
--- Hellsp4wn ---AstralShadow | ScreamTech

VG Cats

Voice interface used to issue commands to controlled 'companions' ???

In a game (including online games) when things get busy, a menu clumsy interface
is detrimental (taking the player away from his own maneuverings etc.. usually relegating such command to initial placements...).

Having a hands off interface to constantly issue commands would be much better (and maybe more realistic as commanders usually doing place an X on the ground where they want lackeys to move to..).

Simple grammar form sentences and general orders (with small vocabularies to ease voive recognition training requirements) can be done these days without using too much CPU resources.

"MONGO ATTACK ORCS"
"MERLIN HEAL ME"
"ALL TO ME"
"FRODO STAND FAST"
"MAGIC HAND HOLD THIS DOOR"

such an interface may also be useable for things like weapon switching or spell casting as well...

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Voice interface used to issue commands to controlled 'companions' ???

In a game (including online games) when things get busy, a menu clumsy interface
is detrimental (taking the player away from his own maneuverings etc.. usually relegating such command to initial placements...).

Having a hands off interface to constantly issue commands would be much better (and maybe more realistic as commanders usually doing place an X on the ground where they want lackeys to move to..).

Simple grammar form sentences and general orders (with small vocabularies to ease voive recognition training requirements) can be done these days without using too much CPU resources.

"MONGO ATTACK ORCS"
"MERLIN HEAL ME"
"ALL TO ME"
"FRODO STAND FAST"

such an interface may also be useable for things like weapon switching or spell casting as well...

What year is this? Have I been transported into the future?

I definately think this is something that will take place with regularity in the future but its gonna be awhile...

Its already been done in war/combat games. It would be original to a mideval game though. I think it would be pretty interesting.
Quote:Original post by Pluvious
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
"MONGO ATTACK ORCS"
"MERLIN HEAL ME"
"ALL TO ME"
"FRODO STAND FAST"

What year is this? Have I been transported into the future?

I definately think this is something that will take place with regularity in the future but its gonna be awhile...

Just to be annoying and state my opinion, I don't fancy yelling at my computer. I have to admit, calling out AI characters by name is a big advantage over menues or button mappings. But I would personally enjoy defining a huge number of keys over using voice commands for several hours. Not to mention that I can keep my insanity a secret for a little while longer. The constant yelling would start to give it away.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement