• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ghs

OpenGL Bitmap scaling/rotating

This topic is 4704 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, guys. I'm writing computer version of board game called 'Talisman'. For those who don't know it - it's quite old, huge board game with many big boards, hunreds of cards and other stuff. Many people still play it, organize meetings, competitions and so on. People says it would be very useful to have computer version of this game that allows to play with others on the Internet, without need to gathering on particular place together. Lot more competitions and so on... I chose Irrlicht engine, cause it has quite nice user interface support, but... as I said there are about 10 big boards in the game. Players should have ability to free moving 'camera' on the boards, zooming it in and out, also rotating would be very good (but not necessary). I spent few hours searching apropriate engine/procedure/OpenGL functions, but I'm still not satisfied. Scaling (and rotating optionally) bitmaps is critical part of my game, so the best solution has to be chosen. So I'm calling your experience. Can you advise me some way to realize that 2D scaling/rotating stuff? I'm quite experienced programer, however not in graphics/gaming programs. Also any hints about painting portions of big board on the screen would be appreciated. Greetings, Grzegorz.

Advertisement
This would quite easy with Irrlitch. Just attach the bitmap as a texture to a Quad/Mesh and then set up a camera. Then you can zoom, rotate etc. I think you should go through the tutorials on the Irrlich web page.

Lizard

Edit: Also, like you say, you don't have that much experience with game development/3D tech etc. So I would go through some basic tutorials about openGL or DirectX before I started using a full fledge engine like Irrlitch. There are some good tutorials here.

Quote:
Original post by LizardCPP
Just attach the bitmap as a texture to a Quad/Mesh and then set up a camera. Then you can zoom, rotate etc.
OK, thanks. But is involving 3D geometry into it fastest? Maybe there are some OpenGL functions or something that operates only on bitmaps? And if I set up the quad - usual camera view in this game will contain about 20% of this quad - should I split it into few pieces? How many?

Quote:
Maybe there are some OpenGL functions or something that operates only on bitmaps?
No, use 3D functions. That's what graphics cards are built to be good at. You won't gain any performance by trying to use 2D-specific stuff.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!