My breakout clone project! =)

Started by
2 comments, last by bignobody 18 years, 5 months ago
Hey, everyone. I just started a breakout clone of my own the other day. I am probably going to call it "Blockbuster 2005", but I have yet to make up my mind. =P Well, I want to add some different things. I am thinking about "skinning" the game. I am making in with SDL in MS Visual C++ 6.0. What I mean by "skinning" is containing the graphics files for different themes in their own folders (title screen, paddle, ball, blocks, etc.). And letting the user created their own by giving a documentation about each graphic's dimensions, etc. And in the game, you can select a theme (which is a list of the enumerated "Theme" folders). If anyone thinks this idea would be too much for a breakout clone, or anything like that, please let me know. I'd be glad to hear some ideas from you all, and comments as well. I will keep everyone updated! =) Thanks, Matt U.
:==-_ Why don't the voices just leave me alone?! _-==:
Advertisement
It's only too much if you are unwilling to do it. The advice I would give to you is to get the bare minimum break out clone up and running, then add all the extras. If you try to do it all at once you might get overwhelmed and never finish the project. This way you will at least end up with a working game, even if it is pretty basic.
To have different skins for a game is a nice idea. Makes it a bit like several games roled into one.

But in my experience the non professional game developer sitting alone at home has one big problem: limited resources. So you invest your precious time to not only create a game but also prepare for possible skins, which is an extra effort. And does this pay off? I bet it would not.

Only very popular software finds enough users to have some few people to really work on a new skin. I mean, you would have to ask 10000 people to find 1 interested. And this one is only interested if he can be sure that his work is released, used and noticed by many others. Frankly I don't see how a breakout clone could have this big impact.

From my experience (ok, my games use to be pretty lame, I guess) I estimate:
-you get maybe 5000 gamers to play your game over the first year
-you get 50 feedbacks (mainly here in this forum I guess)
-you get 0 user made skins

And that is when you are lucky :)
Call me an old, lazy pessimist, but I would concentrate on a nice, basic breakout game and try to get some interesting, original features with minimal effort. Don't count on euphoric users, they are so hard to find these days :)
You might also want to reconsider the name "Blockbuster 2005". I don't think the Blockbuster Video people will be too happy with you otherwise :)

Good luck!

-bignobody
www.notsoftgames.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement