going in circles?

Started by
24 comments, last by Megafox 18 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by lucasloredo
On a general note, C++ is sometimes a bit difficult for me to fully understand. I can do the commands and statements, and understand when to use certain things (for the most part) but its hard for me to fully grasp something that i'm learning without knowing why its happening. My mind (and i'm assuming a lot of your minds as well) works best when i know what's happening behind the scenes.

I would guess that you guys would suggest taking a computer science course... however, being a sophomore in highschool limits my possibilities. Would you suggest a summer course in said subject? I live in Austin, TX and have easy access to the University of Texas.... are there any good programs there that you guys know of?

thanks again,
Lucas

I'm a highschool sophmore too, actually. My recommendation is to read books (lots of books), read this forum (and don't be afraid to ask questions; In general the more specific a question is, the better), and read anything else you can. A good, college-level computer science course can be good (it helped me a lot), but any class that isn't good will only hurt you (and almost any highschool class at all will hurt you, too.)

If you feel like you don't really know what's going on, my suggestion is to read a book that goes a bit more in depth. Also, even if you don't read that great of books, if you have lots of good examples with at least some explanation of what it is that they do, you'll be able to get quite a lot. Be warned that if you see something and it doesn't seem like there's enough code to achieve the desired effect, then there almost certainly isn't. Beginning programmers usually are surprised that the code has to do more or less everything to produce the final output (of course, there are shortcuts to things like physics, but generally you'll end up needing to learn most of what a particular library does before you can use it correctly). Each bit of code itself is generally quite straightforward, though, so it's how you think of a game world that will really allow you to deal with it.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by I_Smell_Tuna
There is a link somewhere on GDNet of tons of file formats, which will be very useful.

wotsit.org?

How long have you been programming cows? Where are you at in terms of skill level, and how did you get there?

its nice to know that im not there's other people out there my age that have had success =]
There isn't really any level you should be at. I'm tackeling a video game with no video game specific development under my belt, although I have years of experience with programming a other tech related fields. In the last 6 months I've learned so much about game development through the use of books, GameDev, and Goole it's not funny. Just do a bunch of research man. Learn about the different sub-systems of a video game and make one when you feel comfortable with them. You can learn a lot by just watching the GDNet forums. When I get home from work I log in and go to the Active Topics link in the forums and just read for hours. Good luck with your endeavors.
How long have you been programming cows? Where are you at in terms of skill level, and how did you get there?

its nice to know that im not there's other people out there my age that have had success =]

Probably... wow, I guess I've been programming for more than seven years, actually. I know a good bit of C++ and Java (C++ better than Java, but with Java you don't really have to deal with pointers in the same way), and quite a bit about data structures, etc. The game I'm trying to put together right now doesn't use anything beyond what's in your book aside from OpenGL, though.
I had the "EXACTLY" same experience. I read the book, and then I saw that inheritance and polymorphism. It had no graphics! But it came in useful. I wrote a letter to the author on his wesite (here) and he answered and said that I should check out SDL for graphics as it is pretty easy to pick up. After that my own suggestion would be OpenGL, as it seems sort of less confusing(to me). Good luck.

P.S. He also said to check out 'Focus on SDL'(a book) and to check out some of the MANY tutorials online.
-----------------------------....::::DRAGON BALL Z::::....C<<"+"<<"+"; // Go C++ !!!-----------------------------
thanks again everyone for your replies.... i'll put your advice to good use!

just a few more things pertaining to schooling:

how much math do you use in C++ or other programming languages? I'm taking pre-cal right now as a sophomore. I'm very good at math, but I have a feeling a lot of this knowledge and advanced classes won't do me much good in the long run haha.

its still very early for me to be considering college options, but, when i think about it, i'm going to be applying next year....! (holy crap)
I'm still undecided as to what field i want to go into ( i know i want to make games, but, what aspect of them, i do not know). I have some experience with XSI Advanced, good experience with GTKradiant and Hammer, and some photoshop skills, and now beginning c++.... i just don't know what i want to do...!

any suggestions on what I should focus on....? Or should i continue what i'm doing, simply doing a bit of everything?

thanks again!
Lucas
How much math you need is determined by domain area not programming language. For example, you'll probably want to take at least up to Calc III and/or linear algerbra (generally a 200 level college course) if you plan to do any 3D graphics or physics programming.
Yeah, just keep at it and try to learn a little bit of everything. When you get in to college (hopefully sooner) you'll be able to decide on what area you want to go in to.
how much math do you use in C++ or other programming languages? I'm taking pre-cal right now as a sophomore. I'm very good at math, but I have a feeling a lot of this knowledge and advanced classes won't do me much good in the long run haha.

Like SiCrane said, it depends. You'll use more than you think, particularly if you want to control the finer details of how your program works. None of the math is unmanageable, though. Even when I was younger I'd teach myself little bits of linear algebra or calculus to keep up with whatever I was reading, but it was little bits that you could grasp in a day, rather than years, particularly if you don't care exactly why something works, just how to use it. Math, though, is something you're much better off taking classes in (at least than programming). In general, there are better math teachers (more of them), and better-refined teaching (it's been around longer).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement