C++ vs. Java?

Started by
13 comments, last by JTippetts 18 years, 5 months ago
What's the differences between C++ and Java? What is mostly used today? What's fastest? When was Java created? Which language is most functional? What do I learn most from? What language are used for console games? other things..?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Cinder
What's the differences between C++ and Java?

What is mostly used today?
What's fastest?
When was Java created?
Which language is most functional?
What do I learn most from?
What language are used for console games?

other things..?

1) c++

2) c++

3) recently compared to c++

4) both can do what you need. java can be extended with native modules if required

5) both

6) AFAIK there is no way to run java on consoles.

learn whatever langauges based on research of what your program will need, and use the language that best suites both the project, your style and personal preference
Unless you happen to have an operting system on your console like I do :D I agree with everything said above, and if you need some advice, start with C++ ;)

What's fastest?
When was Java created?

other things..?

Most important question: What impact does/will this have on your programming projects?

Now to answer your questions:
Google says: Java, as of August 2004
Depends on application and if JIT is used, but from common knowledge C++.
Please Google for this information.
Functional in what way?
You learn much from each. C++ and Java were made to focus on different needs.
C++ is used for console games. Java is used (as well as Flash) for web games.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

i assumed Cinder was speaking of game development relating to which was most used.

my mistake :)
Quote:

C++ compiles to machine-code, Java complies to a machine-independent code called Java bytecode, which can be executed on a Java virtual machine or translated to machine-code through JIT.

Depends in what area you're talking about, I think Java is the winner in server-based stuff and c++ is most popular in end-user apps.

Quote:
What's fastest?

Be more specific, this question is too general to answer.

Quote:

What does that mean?

Quote:

I would say Java, since the language is more restrictive about certain things (for example, much less implicit casting, forcing you to keep public classes in seperate files, etc..), it generally forces you into good programming habits and good organization.
Quote:

C++

Both are widely used. Sourceforge reports 16577 projects for C++, 16516 projects for Java - less than a 1% difference. The numbers for a given type of project will differ more widely.

Quote:What's fastest?

Java at UI development time.
C++ at raw poetential power per clock cycle.
It really depends on what you mean by fastest.

Quote:When was Java created?

More recently than C++.

Quote:Which language is most functional?

They're both better at different things. Without defining "functional" more specifically, this is unanswerable.

Quote:What do I learn most from?

Learning both, and other languages as well, so you can use the right tool for the right job.

Quote:What language are used for console games?

C/C++.

Quote:other things..?

Well, other things have been programmed in just about every programming language known to man. Even brainfuck has a hello world program out there I believe. Python, Lisp, Perl, PHP, ASP, Bash script, D, Ruby, Smalltalk, Visual Basic... the list goes on and on.
Java's related to the link posted http://www.developer.com/lang/article.php/3390001
Is most likely listed on the top for one very specific reason, its used in colleges/universities because unlike other languages its cross platform which allows the students to create there projects at home regardless of the operating system.
Quote:
other things..?

Yeah, your question won't tell you anything useful.
What you will learn most from is to learn programming. Whether you use Java, C++, Whitespace or Prolog doesn't really matter. (What do you learn the most from? English or French? And which is fastest? Or most functional?)
Oh, and one thing you probably should know is that language VS. threads aren't allowed on the forum (At least, I think so. Haven't checked, but in either case, they're useless, even for the original poster, they incite flame wars, and generally frowned upon [wink])
I use C++ and Java.

It's definitely easier to hack something quickly together using Java, but I think C++ streaks ahead.

C++ code compiles and runs faster without the added bloat of the Java JIT system.

I'd say Java, however, is the easier language, but it forces you to put everything inside a class, which I don't particularly like. I think C++ gives me more freedom if I want to write a more procedural program using global variables etc.

But I'm sticking with Java for now and learning C++ in my own time, simply because Java is being taught formally as part of my CS degree.

Summary:

C++ offers higher and faster performance, but is a more complicated and difficult language to use.

Java is easier to use, but is bloated and slow. I also don't see how EXE's are compiled using Java either.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement