Sign in to follow this  
MangaFox

Should beginning Game Programmers/Designers Skip 2D Game Development?

MangaFox    142
I ask because I'm currently working on a 2D game project but wonder if it is really worth the effort? If I shouldn't just focus on using/mastering 3D technology? Peace.

smr    2468
Personally, I would probably start with 2D, but I'd would use an API like OpenGL or Direct Graphics to do the rendering. You can still program in 2D while using a 3D api. In fact, didn't DirectX stop developing any further DirectDraw enhancements?

That said, I don't think that it's even necessary to start with 2D at all. There are plenty of good 3D engines out there with excellent tutorials and good documentation. They're easy enough to use that I think a new-to-games-programmer could learn to use just fine.

rip-off    10976
if you want fast 2D scaling / rotation you're pretty much going to have to use a 3d api and limit yourself to using flat textured quads.

Quote:
I ask because I'm currently working on a 2D game project but wonder if it is really worth the effort? If I shouldn't just focus on using/mastering 3D technology?

are you interested in your 2D game? does it appeal to you? would you prefer to make a 3D one?

me i like 2d and will continue to do so until i come up with a 3d game that is acheivable by me. anyway i have some nice ideas for my current project.

JDUK    100
If i was you, I would start with 2D.
Its easy to get quick results.
Just blit somthing to the screen and read the keys and move it around.... (relativley) simple stuff.

And when your getting started the biggest stumbling block is motivation, and seeing your work in action is the biggest boost you can get.

For that reason I do recormend just getting somthing done ASAP and 2D will make that happen sooner.