Sign in to follow this  
sakky

3D Collision Detection

What type of collision detection should I use for outdoor areas? The entire scene is quite small and could almost be rendered using brute force if it wasn’t for the special effects and bump mapping. Not quite small enough and just a little to big. Any ways, I have this small arena I would like to use collision detection with. The fighting area is pretty simple (I think), use a small set of polygons that define the basic area a player may move to. For example, a octagon could define a ring that player could walk around in. That way I wouldn’t have to deal with lots of geometry collision with the world. But what about the players? A simple ray cast? For example, player 1 punches and I cast a ray to see if I hit anything (collision boxes of some sort) and then calculate the distance. If the distance is less then a certain amount (>= 0) then no collision. Am I close?

yeah. If it's for a fighting game, the collision can be very simple. Oriented bonding box collisions should work and it's easy to implement. So you'd have a box for a fist, other boxes for torso, limbs, ... Just detecting if an intersection occur should be sufficient.