Sign in to follow this  
Telorin

Trouble with "symbols"

Telorin    127
I just recently upgraded to Microsoft visual C++ 2005 and downloaded the "newest" sdk. I placed all the includes, and libs in my visual studio 8\VC\ Libs or Includes and I have no trouble with those, But I just downloaded the symbols and in the old direct X I used it all pre-arranged with symbols already in place etc. So I downloaded the symbol pack but I don't know where to put what folders. Can anyone help me out?

paulble    349
Quote:
Original post by Telorin
I just recently upgraded to Microsoft visual C++ 2005 and downloaded the "newest" sdk. I placed all the includes, and libs in my visual studio 8\VC\ Libs or Includes and I have no trouble with those, But I just downloaded the symbols and in the old direct X I used it all pre-arranged with symbols already in place etc. So I downloaded the symbol pack but I don't know where to put what folders. Can anyone help me out?

In general you shouldn't be copying files around when using the SDK. Our recommended usage is to use the installer to install the sdk. This adds include and lib paths to vs 2005 appropriately.

Symbols are never installed but to use them just point vs 2005's symbol path to the path where you have placed the symbol files. I don't have vs 2005 on this machine but I believe there is something in the main "Options" settings for this.

Paul

Telorin    127
k thanks for the reply :D. It's odd when I installed the direct X sdk it din't seem to set includes etc, I started by choosing the "blobs" sample project and it said it couldn't find all sorts of directX includes so I copied them over to the includes folder and it worked (same with libs), But no my installer din't do all of that, Mabey it's because I don't have visual studio I just have VC++?

EDIT: I never got it to compile as it has a whole bunch of symbol errors

DrunkenHyena    805
Copying the includes and libs is a bad idea. It can make upgrading to future SDKs painful and error prone.

The symbol files have nothing to do with compiling though, they're used to aid debugging. I'm assuming that you mean linker errors. Assuming that you're using the Express version, did you also download and install the Platform SDK?

Telorin    127
ok, after some extensive (ok not quite) research I found out how to set up the PSDK, I had to use the options and choose the Libs, Include, And bin directories in the linker directories. What directories of the directX sdk do I need to add? I did some research and still having trouble. Oh im using the express edition.

[Edited by - Telorin on November 10, 2005 5:23:28 PM]