Sign in to follow this  
dxFoo

[mdx] What to focus on for making 2.5d games?

I've been writing a game for some time and tried it with various languages for samples. It seems that MDX is the best way to go to get this project done. Textbased sounds horrible, 3d is too much of a financial issue, so making it 2.5d seemed like the right way to go. An inspired game of mine has some screenshots of what I mean... The houses and dungeons are 3d, but everything else is 2.5d. This seems more financially suitable for me. With C#/MDX, what should I focus on to make this possible (classes, tools, etc.)? I'd use C++/DX, but I find myself more comfortable with MDX. Thanks in advanced.

Why is 3D a financial problem?
Do you mean you dont have the hardware to run it?
or
You dont have the software the produce the graphical elements?

Billboarding is a very useful thing when it comes to rendering loads of 2D elements in 3D space. Managed DirectX comes with a nice Sprite class that helps you render loads of 2D textures in 3D space. If you pass in SpriteFlags.Billboard when you begin your sprite class rendering, it will render all texture facing towards the camera face up. Exactly what you're looking for.

Hiring folks to do a mass tangle of hard & long work :) This isn't a debate on reasoning, though. I already decided what to go for. Next is how to implement it. My friend mentioned using billboards, circle vs rect and circle vs circle collisions, etc. for the 2.5d images. More ideas are welcomed.

Edit: Thanks Rob!