Sign in to follow this  
Ned_K

[.net] Language performance benchmark

Interesting language benchmark here: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5602&page=1 It involves C#, unmanaged C++, J#, regular java, etc. Of course benchmarks only often mean what you want them to but it still seems to be reasonably well put together.

There have been some significant performance improvements in the 2.0 runtime as well. As always, even though a benchmark might have interesting results, the most important benchmark is the one you run on your application :-)

Hi; I'm surprised I'm the first to notice this...I just sent him this friendly email:

Quote:

Hi

Your benchmark was very interesting, but all of the .NET languages should be the same as you said.
I looked at the source; in C# you were using the System.IO, but in VB you were using FileOpen/FileClose. As previously having developed with VB (now using C#) I know that those legacy functions are only intended for backward compatibility when upgrading from VB 6. Developers should not reference the VisualBasic backward compatibility assembly in new applications. If you had used the exact same code translated into VB I’m sure they would be equal; I don’t know Java, but you weren’t using System.IO there so I assume it’s the same issue.

I don’t want to sound overly critical, it being very good of you to publish your work, but the apps weren’t exactly the same.

Best wishes,

Andrew