Feedback on Pixel Animation

Started by
7 comments, last by Hase 18 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I've been working on an animation of a ninja inspired by the recent 4e4. I am still new, so I am looking for feedback. I really want to try hard and improve. Here it is, doubled in size from its native resolution. Image hosted by TinyPic.com Thank you master artists for helping me. I'm looking for overall improvements as well as small detail improvements. Color? Shading? Form? Detail? Outline? Boder
Advertisement
It´s cute, but it could do with some improvement. My biggest gripe is that you obviously didn´t keyframe it. Especially during the first part the body is way too static, when the left hand moves to grip the sword. Also, he doesn´t put any of his body into the animation, which makes the swing look a bit weak.

As for the speedlines, I´d go with something more solid and quicker. (i.e use the speedlines to illustrate the movement, then you don´t need as many frames)

here´s what I mean about whole-body-movement:

Hehe. I love that guy. Thank you Mr. Hase. That is some top-notch animation, when did you make it? What did you use to make it?

I see what you mean about the fluid animation and the whole body thing. I was especially worried about the head because I copied it from frame to frame. His head wouldn't move much because he would be focused on the enemy, but it would move a little. I'm a little worried about having too much motion in his body. I still want it to look like he is a well-trained and stealthy ninja, executing his moves with pose.

That guy is cool!

And for the lines, when you say solid, do you mean thicker or that all the lines should be together in some sort of "ray band." For the actual slash, would you have it be just one frame from start to end?

[Edited by - Boder on November 13, 2005 11:16:12 AM]
thanks, I made that about a year ago I think. It wasn´t for anything specific, apart from playing around with animations and illustrating something in a discussion about body movement.

I wouldn´t worry about too much movement, stealth and pose doesn´t come from not moving, it comes from moving in a specific way.
Try and focus a bit on the anatomy as well, his legs look awfully short and scrawny for a ninja.

solid = one big slash, one thick line. has to fit the style of whatever you want to use it with though.

edit: thanks.

[Edited by - Hase on November 14, 2005 3:56:18 AM]
I believe that ninja moves like a ninja.. the other had more movements but its a different character.. more like a big thug... a ninja's movement is precise and calculated not pure "force" .

I liked both characters... i believe they both move according to their "personality " wich is important too.

The "thug" seem to have more frames tho , makes it look a bit better, more Disney approved ;) hehe
Thank you very much sinx. I love getting feedback.
the ninja is actualy really good, and body movement is good too I think, with the exception of the part involving him going to grip the sword.
Yeah. The only thing with the ninja was the anatomy for me.
I wasn't able to decide if it is meant to be cartoony (but being short legged
shouldn't be the only sign of it, since the upper body has no cartoony properties) or realistic but then being short-legged is a flaw.
The movement is a bit "squary", but in a quarterth size it won't be seen too much. So it is fine for now, and if you correct the proportions (while smoothing
the movement) it will be very good.

Hase's animation just rocks, but why he is putting the sword from one hand to the other? :) Being a tricky guy?
Signature:http://www.easternraider.comhttp://www.easternraider.com/gallery
just because he can. ;)

If you want more in-depth critique of your pixel art I´d go to a pixel art specific board such as www.pixelation.us. You´ll have a wider audience of pixel-proficient people there than at gamedev.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement