Sign in to follow this  

new api?

This topic is 4413 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

API means Application Programming Interface. It is not tied to a particular technology or goal. As a consequence, everyone can create an API, because creating an API is creating a library and exporting some library functions, types, and constants.

I guess you have a clearer view of what you want to do, but unless you give us more details, it will be difficult to answer your question :)

Regards,

I was thinking the other day about what would happen if a normal one maned team made a consle what type of api would they use, which brought up the question where can i get a link to decolp apis for games.

As far as I'm aware, most console developers make their own API for their console. Although the PlayStation 3 seems to be adopting a more vanilla OpenGL, I believe. Though that's just the graphics part of it; hardware interface and such will still be through Sony's API, I suspect.

Quote:
Original post by gamerking
I was thinking the other day about what would happen if a normal one maned team made a consle what type of api would they use, which brought up the question where can i get a link to decolp apis for games.

I think you're still a little confused about "API". Here, watch.

//---- Adder.h

#pragma once
__declspec(__dllimport) int add(int a, int b);

//---- Adder.cpp

__declspec(__dllexport) int add(int a, int b) { return a+b; }

There, I just wrote my own API. The fact that it has only trivial functionality is immaterial. Asking how to write your own API is pretty much the same thing as asking how to write your own functions.

Making your own console? o_O!!! Good luck with that!

An "API" can refer to a lot, but if you mean "can I make a group of libraries" the answer is yes.

Quote:
Original post by gamerking
ahh thank you thats points me in some great directions thanks guys and no not now but I might make my own console isn't that ever game devolpers dream?

Blech. I wouldn't think so, no. Maybe every electrical engineer's dream.

Quote:
Original post by LilBudyWizer
Although I wouldn't mind a heft chunk of the revenues off the Playstation or XBox. Then again I wouldn't mind a heft chunk of the revenue off the soda machine down the street either.

I don't think the XBox or Playstation themselves actually make Microsoft or Sony any money. In fact, I'm pretty sure they sell them at a loss, and get their profits by exploiting game developers [grin] (Just kidding about the "exploiting" part - everyone has to get something out of it to make the process work).

This topic is 4413 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.