Sign in to follow this  
Golden Dragon

Strange Problem!

Golden Dragon    127
Ok, I am having a strange problem and have no idea what is going on. I am in a group working on programming a game, and am getting some weirdness with someone elses code. If he compiles the program on his computer, using Visual Studio C++ .Net Acamdemic version, and gives me the executable, it runs fine. A character appears and he can run around the screen. However, if I compile it on my computer, using the Standard version instead of academic, the guy doesn't show up, even though he is loaded successfully and everything, some other stuff shows up, but not everything. However, I don't think this problem is graphical. When he was stepping through the code in Debug on my computer, values for variables were wrong, as he said it was almost as if he was stepping through it in Release. For example, a static identity matrix variable that never gets changed was all zeros instead of the identity matrix. I know my copy of Visual Studio works, it compiles and runs other things just fine, but could there be something funky with my install of Visual Studio now that could cause this? Thanks Golden Dragon

pTymN    464
Simple brute force ideas:

Rebuild all
Clean solution
Delete debug/release directorys
Delete .ncb files in code directory (has caused me wierd problems before)

erissian    727
Is it possible that he's compiling in "Debug" mode, and you are compiling in "Release" mode? Sometimes strange errors happen because Debug mode tends to properly initalize variables, where Release mode depends on you to have done that yourself. It can lead to some major errors because you have essentially random data when you've expected zeros!

Golden Dragon    127
Alrighty, he believes he has it figured out. I don't have the lastest version from him yet, so I cannot be sure, though. He believes that it had to with the order of initialization of static member variables of a class and global variables...

CRACK123    235
Don't assume what runs on his system will always run on yours. On more than one occasion many of us have faced this problem. And its always harder to debug when you don't have the system on which this kind of error is coming up