Sign in to follow this  
Turtlebread

Client updates in Client/Server Model

Turtlebread    124
Hey all, I've recently started designing a networking architechture for an action, FPS style game. I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject, and I think I have a pretty good grasp of how I want the client and server to communicate. The server will send out periodic updates (7-10 times a second) that informs the client of everything that has occured since the last recieved update. However, I am not sure how to handle the client-side sending of input to the server. Should I send a packet to the server the instant the user presses a key? Or should I only send client updates periodically and just send a list of moves done by the user? If I only send client updates periodically, how do I handle the case of a user moving forward, then firing, then jumping in the correct order on the server side? Thanks for your help.

hplus0603    11347
You can put ordering information into the packet you send to the server. Ie, send a packet saying "at time T, the user ran forward; at time T+d, the user fired, and at time T+d2 the user jumped."

However, because clients upstream typically aren't as scarce as client downstream (because there's only one player's data, not N players' data), feel free to send a packet much more often than you'd send a packet from the server.