Sign in to follow this  
ryan554

game programming books

ryan554    157
Im thinking about getting either Beginning Game Programming by Micheal Morrison or the Beginning Game Programming by Johnathan S. Harbour. Which do you recomend?

Telastyn    3777
Neither. If you're a beginner, you'd probably be better off with a more general book to teach you how to program.

You need to read and write before you can author a great novel, or even a terrible short story...

localrob2    139
If you know a good deal of C++, I would recommend Michael Morrison's book. It's great and he has a website witha forum to ask questions. The book, however, only covers win game programming, no 3d stuff.

Terra_Nova    122
I recently got C++ For Dummies. Its actually quite good and comes with free compiler. It doesnt teach you how to make games but i think by the time you read all the book that might just come to you

Binary1010    103
First things first, make sure you know C/C++. Then, it depends on what API you want to learn; Michael Morrison covers Win32, John Harbour covers DirectX(9.0b, included with the book). I have the Harbour book, and it's really good; he does use plain C, though, and he only covers Direct3D, Sound, and Input.