DirectX 9.0 SDK Update - (October 2005) and Win2K

Started by
5 comments, last by ROBERTREAD1 18 years, 4 months ago
From this URL http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1C8DC451-2DBE-4ECC-8C57-C52EEA50C20A&displaylang=en Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows Small Business Server 2003 ; Windows XP; Windows XP 64-bit; Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Home Edition N; Windows XP Media Center Edition; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Professional N; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Starter Edition; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition _________________________________________________________________________ No Windows 2000 in the List! Is anyone developing DX9 (October 2005) apps on Win2K? Any ideas how I can get it to work? (clean build)
Advertisement
Win2K support was dropped several SDKs ago. What errors do you get?

It refuses to install.
Well, the SDK setup file extracts itself to a temporary directory first. You can try using the headers and libraries from that directory.

Quote:Original post by ROBERTREAD1
It refuses to install.

To clarify... I seem to remember that Win2k was no longer a supported development platform in the February 2005 SDK, and it was the April 2005 SDK that actively tried to stop you from using it on Win2k.

As far as I'm aware, you can still deploy DX9 applications to Win2k - you just can't (well, not supposed to!) use it for development.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:Original post by ROBERTREAD1
It refuses to install.

To clarify... I seem to remember that Win2k was no longer a supported development platform in the February 2005 SDK, and it was the April 2005 SDK that actively tried to stop you from using it on Win2k.

As far as I'm aware, you can still deploy DX9 applications to Win2k - you just can't (well, not supposed to!) use it for development.

hth
Jack

This is correct. Basically, our tools are starting to take dependencies on features of Windows XP and above. You can still develop for Windows 2000 and the DirectX Redist supports installing those components that support Windows 2000 (9.0c, etc...).

If you find yourself in dire need of developing on Windows 2000, you could always open up the downloaded package in WinZip or something and pull out the Include and Lib directories.

Paul

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks for all your advice. I've rated you guys up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement