donut volume

Started by
1 comment, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 5 months ago
I am trying to figure out the formula for the volume of an object that is shaped like a donut: like a cylinder twisted into a circle and pulled back into itself. My approach is to start by thinking of the object in 2D. Take the difference of the outer circle's diameter and the smaller circle's diameter to get the distance between the outer and inner circle. Since a donut is really a bent cylinder, multiply this PI*r^2 (area of a circle). Now take this figure across the entire circumference of the donut by multiplying it by PI*d. The resulting equation I get is: Let O = outer circle's diameter Let I = inner circle's diameter Let V = volume of the donut-shaped object V = (O - I) * PI^2 * r^2 * d Anyone care to challenge this? It's important I get it right.
Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.
Advertisement
Let R be the radius of the torus (donut), from the center of the entire torus to the center of the curved cylinder.
Let r be the radius of the curved cylinder
Let V be the volume of the torus

V = πr2 * 2πR

HOWEVER, I think this isn't correct, so I'm going to try an integration and see what I come up with.
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
mathworld is your friend
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Torus.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement