[4E4] #28 Call of Booty

Started by
7 comments, last by Andrew Russell 18 years, 5 months ago
Well, I thought I'd get some feedback on what people thought of my entry since everyone else is doing it. A little bit of background: Originally I wasn't going to enter 4E4, but about 2-3 weeks before the deadline I started thinking: "hey, I already have an old engine laying around, and.. uh, I haven't made any games in a while. Maybe I'll see how much I can hack together in 3 weeks." Incidentally, this was a HUGE HUGE mistake, and if you ever have a voice in your head telling you that you can finish a game in three weeks, you should beat yourself senseless with a large stick that we will refer to as the "smart stick" (because it will learn you REAL GOOD). As it turns out, my engine I had around that I thought was "finished" really wasn't near being "finished" at all, and so I spent way more time coding things than I initially planned. This probably is evident insofar as the game being incredibly buggy and slow [wink]. In any case, I think things turned out decently well for a game made in 2.5 weeks, so I hope at least some of you enjoyed it. I was probably way too ambitious in what I was trying to do (I think I only ended up implenting about 1/8th of the gameplay features I wanted), but, what's the fun in playing it safe? [smile] Anyway, I guess what I was wondering is a few things: a) General reactions to the game? Did you like it, dislike it? Do you want to kill me now for wasting your time, or will a public flogging suffice? ;) b) Did it run on your system? I know its a huge resource hog, but, I had it running decently (~25fps) on my GF3 TI500, so I don't think it should be too bad. Unfortunately though, I didn't really get a chance to test it a lot, so I'm not really sure what range of hardware it works/doesn't work on. (By the way, if it isn't running well, try turning off the grass (hit F7 in the game), and also try reducing the texture detail (hit F8). Both of those should help a *lot*, especially on older 64MB cards.) Also, since I'm basically done forever working on the code base for this game, I'm thinking of releasing it as public domain open-source for people to learn from. Although, by learning I mean more along the lines of "here's what not to do" [wink]
Advertisement
Unlike previous builds of your engine/slideshow, this one actually ran at full speed on my system (though trying to do video capture was a lost cause, your game was actually my first choice for an avatar). Of course I'm also running it on an X800 Pro 256MB with 1GB of system memory.
I had a lot of fun with your entry, great music and sounds. More comments to follow.

However, I just decided to boot it up with a critical eye for detail and I found something that might be of interest. The sky looks a little funny in this picture.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Edit: Your Readme kicks arse man! Why didn't I read this sooner?

[Edited by - Boder on November 10, 2005 8:10:04 PM]
Your game made me have a nice chuckle.

The AI was pure seek and destroy - big groups of ninjas ha ha ha.
The vehicle had a roaring engine sound even though it was made of wood.
And the hook for a hand was great.
I also like that you felt like you were in the woods.
You could also lob things really far, my favorite is straight up in the air and then hav it land on yourself killing you, lol.

Flipping the "car" made the camera penetrate the terrain and becom upside down.
The AI was really stupid.
The ending was lame.
The concept of get as much gold as possible was a little unmotivating.
many other cons, but you did make it in three weeks.

All in all this game so far has given me the biggest laugh factor and feeling like I was in control of the game. I thought the most interesting thing was the "car" physics.
Quote:Original post by Michalson
Unlike previous builds of your engine/slideshow, this one actually ran at full speed on my system (though trying to do video capture was a lost cause, your game was actually my first choice for an avatar). Of course I'm also running it on an X800 Pro 256MB with 1GB of system memory.

Well, originally my entry was going to be a powerpoint presentation of screenshots, but I was worried that it might come across as feeling too smooth, so in the end I decided the 3D engine was best for the "slideshow" feel I was going for.
Quote:Original post by Boder
However, I just decided to boot it up with a critical eye for detail and I found something that might be of interest. The sky looks a little funny in this picture.

Yeah, I totally screwed up on that. I meant to fix it, but I ran out of time.

Quote:Original post by The Senshi
Well, originally my entry was going to be a powerpoint presentation of screenshots, but I was worried that it might come across as feeling too smooth, so in the end I decided the 3D engine was best for the "slideshow" feel I was going for.

You have a good sense of humor [grin].

Parts of the game were really fun - the intro graphics were nice, the parchment drawing in particular, and the forest textures and trees are great! I love the car (it looks great, and works well in all but some weird situations). And I love how high I can jump, even though it's impossible to control.

- Intro music would be nice, or sounds, or something
- The mouse sensitivity needs some work - too slow, and my mouse pad isn't big enough to make up for it
- The loading screen - funny, but are the glasses supposed to go across the screen, and then five or so more on the next line?
- Music - okay, but not great, and it doesn't loop too well
- What's with the 'exit' text hanging around the boat? It hangs around on top of everything else in the level
- Some of the textures are a bit strange (the sand? some stretching on wood panels)
- You can walk underwater, and over the continental shelf :P
- So, am I invincible on the vehicle? Or does the fading out mean that I've died? I eventually figured out that I lost money every time, but the HUD goes away, so it's hard to tell what's going on.
- The enemies move waaay too fast, and the sounds aren't very helpful in locating them

So, uh, that was a lot of criticism, but I *did* really enjoy it!
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
It chugs pretty awfully on my laptop (Mobility 9200 with crap drivers from '03), like 3 FPM. But, I look forward to playing it on my other system back home over Christmas (geForce 3 ti500, so should be on par with what you see).

Good to see that you're still developing actively, Ian. Best of luck in the contest.

Regards,
ZE.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

I enjoyed it, although in a "silly" way.

It didn't run too slowly for me - indeed it ran rediculiously fast. I'm not sure if this was by-design (or lack thereof) or not.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement