Java executables

Started by
7 comments, last by AllTheLuck 18 years, 5 months ago
hello :) sorry if this questions has been asked a billion times: How do you make a .exe out of a .java? gratias
Advertisement
There's really not a good way to do it, at least not with the normal JDK. I think Microsoft's J++ may be able to do it in one way or another, but I don't recommend it (and I've heard that it mutilates the java language quite badly). Why do you need a .exe, though? You can just distribute the Java runtime with your product if you want.

EDIT: There may very well be a way of doing it that I've not heard of, but from what I've seen, people that need .exe files generally just don't use Java.

EDIT: Keep in mind that one of Java's big features is that it's cross-platform (runs on more than just Windows), and .exe is only for Windows executables, so you're kind of defeating one of the reasons for Java's existance if you do that.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
well, i dont need a .exe but it would be handy.
im pretty new to programming, just taking a java course at my high school but i really like it so trying to expand my knowledge.

is there any easy way to just be able to distribute a java application?
i know there must be or else java would only be good for applets kind of.
by easily distribute i mean like send someone your application so they can just double click it and it runs. thank you very much for feedback
What is wrong?

Error : Invalid path, C:\michael\bin\javac.exe -classpath C:\Java -d C:\Java C:\Java\HelloWorld5.java
use a DOS-box (WinXP command-console)

- change directory to c:/Java
- check if %path% contains the path to "C:\michael\bin\" by entering "path"
- if it does will "javac HelloWorld5.java" 'compile' your code
- otherwise enter PATH = %PATH%;C:\michael\bin\" once, then use the above, shortened command
< enter some witty programmer's one-liner here >
To the OP:
I don't know java so I might be totally wrong here - but I think what you're looking for is a Jar file... you can use the *nix program "jar" to make them, then as long as you have the java web start package (included with JRE).
[EDIT]As long as you have the java web start package you can run the jar file.
(Ending sentences mid-stride, it may be time for me to go to bed)[/EDIT]

A quick google search turned up this article (pdf warning) which seems to spell out the steps for every way to distribute a java program... the jar method starts on page 5.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://merganser.math.gvsu.edu/david/reed03/notes/appendixa.pdf&e=10401
I could suggest a couple of ways:
-compile the java code to your target machine instead than to the JVM (don't think this is a good idea)
-create a simple batch file:
java -cp . -jar yourprogram.jar
would work in simple situations

-write a c (or delphi or whatever you want) program that does the same things as the batch file, but you can in addition do other stuff. I think this is how OpenOffice or weka work.
You could check out GCJ at http://gcc.gnu.org/java/ but it is experimental and only works with older Java source code.
You could distribute the program with Java web start. That is a technology that allows people to run an application (not an applet) from the web.

I think that all you need is a JVM plugin in your web browser, but I could be wrong. Sorry I don't really know that much about it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement