Sign in to follow this  
Namir

Seeking Resources for...

Hey folks. I'm looking for VERY newbie-friendly simple game-design resources, preferably those geared towards strictly text games. (I'm not too interested in worrying about graphics at this point) Some of the things I'd be very interested in finding are explainations of playability vs. realism, general game design, and thematic design. Sources that could help me 'master' pseudo-code and make better algorithms would be great, too.

Quote:
Original post by Namir
I'm looking for VERY newbie-friendly simple game-design resources, preferably those geared towards strictly text games. (I'm not too interested in worrying about graphics at this point)
Anything in particular you want? How serious are you about game programming? Have you read about the different types of professions in game development? (computer language, scripting, apis you want to get to, current skill?)

Quote:
Original post by Namir
Some of the things I'd be very interested in finding are explainations of playability vs. realism, general game design, and thematic design. Sources that could help me 'master' pseudo-code and make better algorithms would be great, too.
The way I learned most of that was through critical analysis of video games I've played, as well as how professional game review sites base how good or bad a game is. You can also read a long list of articles on this page too.. although you need to scroll down to see Game Design stuff :)

To make text games you just need to study the basic syntax of the language that you would be programming in. Things like printing text on screen and storing variables would be helpful. You could get this from many tutorials or books. I would say this site has a bunch of great c++ stuff on it. You might also want to look into java or python if you are just starting out. Also, the books section up above is a great resource if you plan to get a few books. The reviews are helpful and some people from around here even wrote a few of the books.