Torque

Started by
3 comments, last by JayeAeotiv 18 years, 5 months ago
So I'm currently using Irrlicht as the engine for my game, but after checking out Torque, I am thinking about swithching over. My only reservation is that I don't actually get to try it out. The demo shows you what it can do and I must say that it's very impressive. And I'm sure the editor and everything is very intuitive just like they say, but I don't want to shell out a Ben Franklin for something I don't know will work for me. Any thoughts as to further evaluating this product? Opinions would be a very big help as I know there are some here using Torque for their game projects. Thanks. -AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Advertisement
Do you realise you can edit and script the demo? Hit F11 I think it is to edit (can't save though), and open the *.cs files in a text editor to script it.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
F11 is the right button. That opens up the mission editor which allows you to play around with game editing. The scripts are written in TorqueScript but it's fairly easy to catch on to and can definitely be edited by any text editor. Something you ought to remember though is that you receive the source code. If something doesn't work for you, you just have to change it.
Send them back!
My main concern is with the level editor. I'm fairly confident I can get the hang of the scripting and whatnot, but level building is my biggest hurdle at this point as I have no 3D modeler to help me out, so I am stuck doing levels myself in Cartography Shop because it's the best thing I have found so far. I almost have my first level done as far as modeling goes and with some clever lighting and shadows it might actually look good, lol. But anyway, I digress. I pressed F11 and tried to do some things for a couple minutes, got a light in there, and set some objects, but they never showed up except the light. If someone could explain to me how it works, that would be great. I didn't see any tutorials on the GG website for non-payers, but I will look again. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
I don't know of any games I've played in Irrlicht, I have played gamese in Torque.

The torque games often seem a bit buggy and hacked up. With something like Torque, you would think you have so much taken care of for you already, you could spend more time on the polish. I've played games that are on Torque's site for sale, and something simple like the joystick doesn't work after enabling.

I think Torque encourages laziness, and important aspects of a game's options and UI tend to get left out.

--before honor is humility--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement