Getting ready to feel foolish? I am.

Started by
11 comments, last by sinx 18 years, 5 months ago
I remember proclaiming just before the end of the contest that I reckoned a top-ten place was well within my reach. As we all sit here waiting for some results at some point in the not-quite-certain-when future I have to admit that this outcome seems pretty unlikely! Of the games I've played, I reckon 'Ninja Loves Pirate', 'A violent world' & 'Operation Dog Tag' are pretty certain to defeat me. 'Toy Robo' ,'Pirate Tycoon' & 'Ink Wars' I put in the "I'm not sure" category because I couldn't see the game running properly or couldn't get the gameplay enough to figure out what was there, and "Timeblasters" also goes in this category because it's pretty polished but also quite simple, and I can't really tell how the judges will weight it. Then there are the games that I couldn't get to run which look great and have some good feedback - 'Zirconia 2: Battle', 'Apparatus Mortem', 'Paranoia', 'Shadows Of The Savage Fist', 'VIGDP3', 'Kasei', 'Warscale' & 'Star Robots'. So even assuming that other games don't look way better than their screenshots (I've not tried a few) that's 15 games. I reckon most of the "I'm not sure" games are a lot better than I could experience them on my old PC, and I'm sure that at least a few of the best entries require shaders and therefore I couldn't even test them. So it looks like I'm out of the prizes! I did also state I'd like to be in the top few of those who wrote their game just about from scratch without 3rd-party/existing engines; on this count I hopefully do a bit better but I'm not sure who used what. Anyone else wanting to take back their words, or on the other hand does anyone feel suprised in a good way at the standard of the competition?
Advertisement
All I can say is, next time I'll be putting more time and effort in.
It feels like I put maximum effort in - in the last month I got up before 6am to code before work, then coded until 11pm and put in 16hours a day at the weekends - but I also didn't decide to enter until a month in, and the next month I was working on making a new house livable.
I just wish I started when the contest was announced!
I realised there is some contest going on on 1st September. I figured that if I push hard my engine-still-in-development (in Java), I could finish SOMETHING for that month to come. I decided to mix pirates and zombies, did modeling, skinned them, optimised engine more and more, recorded and modified sounds, my friend gave me one music track and helped me with skinning for the last two weeks. Level editing was done in last 5 days. So I am VERY happy with the outcome. The deadline forced me to do something more or less complete. As for competition - it's strong. Too strong. Paranoia, Curse of... This is my first real try in openGL anyway...
All I will get are tons of experience and fun out from this contest. But what else a man can wish? :)
I wrote a long post, but then IE decided to delete it, so this is a short version of it:

What I think will be the top 10:
7 Area 511
9 Toy Robo
17 Zirconia 2: Battle
18 Timeblasters
23 Paranoia
28 Call of Booty
29 Ninja Loves Pirate
32 VIGDP3
33 Ink Wars
34 The Curse of Za Defami Island

(excluding A Violent World since I was involved in making it and would have placed it as #1 otherwise! ;)

Of these I think 29 will win, it has good gameplay, nice graphis and all 4 elements very nicley integrated in the game. However, 29 is not my personal favorite, I dislike the pixels/tiny screen to much for that..

/viblo
Looks like us two mostly agree then, although I didn't like Area 511. Mostly this was because everytime I clicked on something the window lost focus - a problem 3 or 4 entries shared on my multi-monitor system.

EDIT:
Although it seems we'll never know the top 10 (see the thread on announcing the results)
I'm not going to rank the games overall, mainly because it's a lot of work to do, and we'll have the judges to take care of that, anyways! (Yay judges!)

So, the games I enjoyed the most:
A Violent World
Zirconia 2 Battle
The Curse of Za'Defami Island
Toy Robo
TimeBlasters

The games I thought looked awesome:
Ninja <3 Pirate
VIGDP3
Ink Wars
Toy Robo
Call of Booty
Kasei
Zheigenbuerg
The Curse of Za'Defami Island

And, I loved Paranoia! (Again, I'm biased)

Of course, other games were notable for other reasons. Ink Wars was innovative, Kasei had some great looks and play to it with nice animations, Monstrumo was a well-put-together FPS, Operation Dog Tag was a fairly complete game with nice FPS elements, and Shadows of the Savage Fist was very well done as well.

Some of the games, well, I just didn't get to experience. I didn't get into Area 511 (instructions...), Secret Curse (didn't install right), Archipelago (instructions...), Ship Ho (error on run), Terra Exodus (poor tutorial), Time Keeper (error on run), Blocs Unleashed (error on run), Apparatus Mortem (multiplayer only), Mr. Green (error on run), Warscale (multiplayer only, used to crash), Star Robots (error on menu), Ninja Attack, and RoboShift.

I'm very impressed with all the games I played, and wish everyone the best [grin].

I'd probably bet that N<3P will win, but maybe that's because Michalson already proclaimed it so. I appreciate superpig for waiting [wink].
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
I don't want to feel foolish. I'm just wondering who outside of gamedev talks about these contests. Searching on google.
4E4 shows about 260,000
4E4 Contest shows 569
superpig shows up 56,300 :P
I put a crapload of effort into this, problem was, I started a month before the contest ended! Next time I will definately sign up early and I am pretty sure Ill have a good chance of placing in the TOP TEN if I put as much effort into it as I did this time, dont forget I was learning how to program C++ at the same time I was doing this! Yep next contest will be a breeeeze...
That's what we said last time, but we still waited till the end [grin].
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement