SDK Common

Started by
1 comment, last by paulble 18 years, 5 months ago
Hi, Another beginner post...I have installed DirectX SDK August 2005 and it comes with a utility toolkit under Samples\C++\Common. Some of the sample SDK projects include files from this directory. Is it quite common to use DXUT in DirectX apps? Does it have potential problems that I need to be aware of? Thank you,
Advertisement
It is an application framework MS created to stop their programmers from rewriting the same initalization and control flow code for each sample. As a bonus they left it to you.

There is little harm in using it although it is explicitly stated that it is written for clarity and not for speed (though there is little evidence of either argument in the code). You can especially use it for test applications.

If you are a starter you might as well use it as the basis of your first few projects. Then, start pulling it apart and see how it works and you will have learned a lot and will be able to write your own framework.

Greetz,

Illco
Quote:Original post by swati2424
Hi, Another beginner post...I have installed DirectX SDK August 2005 and it comes with a utility toolkit under Samples\C++\Common. Some of the sample SDK projects include files from this directory. Is it quite common to use DXUT in DirectX apps? Does it have potential problems that I need to be aware of?
Thank you,

DXUT is used in several shipping (or near shipping) Windows titles. It is also often used in pipeline tools that run on Windows. In this sense I would say it is safe to use.

Paul

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement