Sign in to follow this  

Book recommendations

This topic is 4417 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know there is a section about this but I will ask anyways. I got the book"Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" last week. I've looked into it a bit, it seeems like a great book, explaining the win api in the first chapter and the rest is direct x. The thing is that I don't want to learn direct x because I rather learn opengl. But I don't think i'm ready for that step yet, i'm relative new to the windows api. I don't like to rush things like that, have already got from c++ to win api with average knowledge in c++. Do you know any good windows api game programming books out there, focusing only on c/c++ and win api? or is it just a bad idea to code games in windows api alone?

"Beginning Game Programming" by Michael Morrison. It uses C++ and the Win32 API. You make a 2D game engine that you can use for a wide variety of games, and everthing is explained really well. He also has some good forums where other readers of the book are happy to answer questions.

Overall, it is a really really good book.

I consider "Beginning C++ Game Programming" a good introduction to the language biased towards games, but it doesn't specifically tie you in to any API. It merely gives a good foundation for you to use C++ for anything you choose. This plus a good reference of the Win32 API would surely put you in good stead, and since the documentation of the Win32 API is free (and quite mature), you're only really looking at one purchase.

This topic is 4417 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.