Sign in to follow this  

linking error in "winsock2.h"

This topic is 4413 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i just have start learning programming winsocket using visual studio 2003 but just in the begining i had some prp i have wrote this code: #include "stdafx.h" #include "winsock2.h" using namespace std ; void main() { WSADATA wsaData; int iResult = WSAStartup( MAKEWORD(2,2), &wsaData ); if ( iResult != NO_ERROR ) printf("Error at WSAStartup()\n"); } and it just keep telling me this error winsocket error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__WSAStartup@8 referenced in function _main i just think that the prp is that i have to link the winsock2.h but the prp that i dont know how should i download something .lib and then add a reference to my project or what i will appreciate ur help

Hmmmm, if I recall correctly, you need to include "windows.h" before "winsock2.h". But since that's a linker error, I'm not sure if that would solve your problem.

The only thing I know is that I had problems not including windows.h.

This sounds like a question about how to properly use MSVC, rather than a question about networking or multiplayer programming. You would probably get better help from a forum dedicated to tools help...

Actually, you typically want to include <winsock2.h> before you include <windows.h> to avoid some naming conflicts. <windows.h> is typically compiled into the precompiled headers, so you should add <winsock2.h> into your "stdafx.h" file, before that includes <windows.h>.

The link error is likely because you haven't added ws2_32.lib to the list of libraries to include, in the Linker settings.

Open MSVC.
Open the online help.
Search for "adding library to project".

Because this thread now has nothing to do with network programming, I'm going to close it; please find the appropriate forum for posting questions on how to use Visual Studio (or at least try reading the manual :-)

This topic is 4413 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.