Sign in to follow this  
blackganon

microsoft visual c++

hi i bought microsoft visual c++ 2005 because i want to learn c++ but this program is so complicated that I even don't know where i have to write my code. does somoene know a good tutorial or book for this program. not for c++ but for visual c++ 2005. thanks

Poking around it a little bit will get you most of the things you need to know in pretty quick order, but to get you started... open up Visual Studio, it will open to the start page, in the upper left there will be a box, at the bottom of that box will be spots to Open or Create Project | Web Site. Pick project. Then expand the Visual C++ tree and depending on your needs pick a section. Likely you'll be needing Win32 -> Win32 Console Application if you're starting out. Then in the bottom part, choose a name for your project and a location, then click OK. This will bring you up a little wizard where you can mess with some settings, should be pretty straight forward.

Once that is finished you'll have created a new solution/project. Depending on the options selected you may have a source file and/or some header files available in the Solution Explorer window. Assuming you don't...right click on the projects name in the Solution window and select Add -> New Item, then C++(.cpp) file, enter a name and click ok. This will open up your new source file and you can do your coding in there. To begin debugging your application once you have some source, simply press F5.

The length of this description may make it sound more complicated then it really is.

You can also just select File -> New -> File right away if you want to just get a source file open with creating an accompanying project/solution for it.

There are a colossal number of samples in Visual Studio that tell you how to write C++ applications. Specifically, do a search for "Visual C++ Sample Applications". The amount of documentation installed with VS 2005 is quite staggering.