What game should I begin programming?

Started by
12 comments, last by JayeAeotiv 18 years, 5 months ago
Hello there! I am very newbie in OpenGL API using, but I almost know the basics in C++. But I wonder which game should I start to program and is there any good books that helps me to program OpenGL games, I mean it seems so impossible just to program the Tetris game and I can't imagine how impossible to create a game in 3D with textures,lights, 3D engines and so on, so back to the question, "where should you start If you wanna learn to program OpenGL games?"
Advertisement
I recommend starting with Pong. Then use what you did in Pong to create Breakout.
--before honor is humility--
Quote:
"where should you start If you wanna learn to program OpenGL games?"

By learning more C++. "Almost the basics" likely will not cut it, and just create a harder learning process for you.
First of all do you have any experience making a simple 2D game? Just to give you a slight idea of the concept behind it?

If yes, Go for Pong, it's pretty basic but will put you on the right track.
Quote:By learning more C++. "Almost the basics" likely will not cut it, and just create a harder learning process for you.

seconded.

After you know the basics using an API will be a lot simpler.
Why don't you try a game like hangman or tic-tac-toe first? (console is easier than Win32)
Heehee, But I don't know what Tic-Tac-Toe is :P I'm swedish :P But I guess it is a simple game, is it 2D? :)
After you have spent some time doing a very simple project you should design a game completely before ever trying to program it. What I mean by this is specify completely what the game does in english and then separate it into many simple pieces. Convert each piece into C++ code and plug them all together.

I know you already know everything that I said, but design is the most important part to a good video game.

Good Luck!
Tic-Tac-Toe is a simple 2D game that is played with two people (person-person or person-computer). The game board looks like the following:

|   |   |   |---+---+---   |   |   |   |---+---+---   |   |   |   |

Each player choses what his/her/its mark will be either an X or an O.

One player will go first by placing his mark in one of the 9 positions on the board.
Then the second player will place his mark in an empty location on the board.

The object of the game is to get three of your marks in a row.

This is an example of a situation where the player who's mark is X would be the winner.

|   |   | O | O---+---+---   |   | X | O | X---+---+--- O | X |   |   |

I hope that this is helpful!
tic-tac-toe is a game played on paper with pencil.

You have a symbol that looks like a pound sign, but bigger. #
   |  |___|__|___   |  |___|__|___   |  |   |  |

You start by having one player place an X in one of the boxes.
   |  |___|__|___   | X|___|__|___   |  |   |  |

The next player places an O in an empty box
   |  |___|__|___   | X|O___|__|___   |  |   |  |

Players take turns filling empty boxes until one player has three in a row. If all the boxes are filled and nobody has three in a row, nobody wins.
(X winds below)
  X| O|X___|__|___   | X|O___|__|___  X|  |O   |  |
Quote:Original post by AllTheLuck
Tic-Tac-Toe is a simple 2D game that is played with two people (person-person or person-computer). The game board looks like the following:

|   |   |   |---+---+---   |   |   |   |---+---+---   |   |   |   |

Each player choses what his/her/its mark will be either an X or an O.

One player will go first by placing his mark in one of the 9 positions on the board.
Then the second player will place his mark in an empty location on the board.

The object of the game is to get three of your marks in a row.

This is an example of a situation where the player who's mark is X would be the winner.

|   |   | O | O---+---+---   |   | X | O | X---+---+--- O | X |   |   |

I hope that this is helpful!

Sorry about my post, you posted while I was typing mine... I guess you beat me to the draw. I guess you're the fastest gun in the west eh?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement