Sign in to follow this  

C++ or C#

This topic is 4418 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

before I answer that question here are some others you can think about.

Should I learn French of Spanish? Dancing or Cooking? Knitting or sewing?

Your question is about the same as those. I don't know what you should learn because they are suited for different purposes. Ideally you should eventually learn as many languages as possible though. And what about other languages? Have you considered Python or Java?

I mean think about it. If we knew what language you should learn why would there be more than one? So basically just pick one and if you think it's too hard switch to another and if that's too hard another, etc. Once you learn one language learning another is usually very easy. If you find they are all too hard well ask for some help and we'll try and get the ball rolling. Just be perserverant and work hard and the rest will occure naturally.

C# is far easier to learn.
I started with C# and m ade some 2D stuff (Tile engine & 2d level editor) and some 3D stuff (image heightmapping demo)with Managed Direct X then wondered over to C++ and SDL in the past week.

C# and Managed DX are easy to get good results out of and easy to learn.... after that stick with C# if you want or learn C++ if you feel up to it.

As far as learning curve goes id say start with C#...
As a homebrew developer you will never be wanting for more power under C# and DX they are very good... Then, later on, maybe pick up C++ as its a widley recognised industry standard.

I think you should start learning how things work beneath (C/C++) before starting with a higher-level language (C#). At least learn the basics of C++/Win32 before moving on. Say if you're in a C# project, and you need to access a Win32 function, you'd be lost very quickly. You'd be less valuable to a team. The same situation was true for C programmers starting out. They had to access assembly often to get things done. They'd be lost if they didn't know assembly. Just my 2 cents, but think about the benefits later.

My vote goes for C#, mostly because as the guy above mentioned as a homebrew developer your going to want the ease of developement that C# and mdx have to offer. C++ is nice dont get me wrong, and for commercial game dev its the language the learn. The issue is that C++ takes alot of time to learn and to do anything in.

I love c++ but I didn't start with it, I think that c# or java are good starts but I didn't start with them either, I started with scripting languages then Delphi. But I liked c++ more than all of them for some reason

This topic is 4418 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.