noise functions in GLSL

Started by
11 comments, last by zedzeek 18 years, 5 months ago
What is the word on GLSL noise1/2/3 functions on NVIDIA hardware (7800GTX, 81.85) ? Seems, these functions always return 0.0. Did anyone see the same result ?
Advertisement
Not implemented, will never be.
They're only implemented on the 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm, as I understand it.

[Edited by - Promit on November 11, 2005 1:43:15 PM]
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
If these are not implemented, atleast the compiler should produce an error saying functions not supported or something. What's the point in compiling without complaining and returning 0.0 ?
Compatibility?
It's in their release notes too:

http://download.nvidia.com/developer/Papers/2005/OpenGL_2.0/NVIDIA_OpenGL_2.0_Support.pdf

It would be nice if there was a standard way in GLSL to claim support for different subsets of functionality.
If the hardware doesn't support noise functions, the driver SHOULD fall back to a software renderer, and produce the correct results.

Unfortunately, Nvidia usually prefers performance over compatability, even if the well-performing result is simply wrong. I do not know what ATI's windows drivers do. Mac OS X 10.4.3 will fall back, and will render shaders with noise() corrrectly.
Quote:Original post by Promit
They're only implemented on the 3dfx Wildcat Realizm, as I understand it.

That'll be a 3DLabs Wildcat Realizm [wink]

IMO noise is something that shouldnt be supported in glsl
search the www.opengl.org glsl forum someone has written a noise lookup via a texture (runs reasonably fast)
Given that core clock speed is increasing faster than memory bandwidth using instructions to calculate noise is a better solution than performing a texture lookup.

Anyways, if you need a noise function then look up 'simplex noise'

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement