Looking for a good and complete book about D3D9

Started by
5 comments, last by chema 18 years, 4 months ago
Hello, I am looking for a intermediate-advanced book focused at Direct3D that cover all the major topics including shading languages. I have some 3d math background and experience with OpenGL. I am new to this forum but I expect to visit it frequently and contribute to it. Thanks in advance
///////////////////////////// Good luck, // // you will need it! /////////////////////////////Chema
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by chema
I am looking for a intermediate-advanced book focused at Direct3D that cover all the major topics including shading languages. I have some 3d math background and experience with OpenGL.

Most of the intermediate-advanced books cover only shader programming - very few advanced books cover the FFP these days. The "GPU Gems" and "ShaderX" series come fairly well regarded.

I would imagine it's below your level, but Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9 by Frank D. Luna has been mentioned as a good one by a few people.

If you've got the background that you say you have, I would actually recommend AGAINST buying a "general" book on the D3D API :-

1. The API is a bit of a moving target due to the 2 month SDK releases. Books on the general API and it's framework don't last as long as they used to.

2. D3D9 is at the very least changing inside of a year (to the Windows Vista version) and there is also D3D10 just around the corner.

3. The samples, tutorials, documentation and web forums will cover pretty much everything you need to know about the API

4. The more general shader/graphics related books will be a *much* better long term investment [smile]

Quote:Original post by chema
I am new to this forum but I expect to visit it frequently and contribute to it.

Welcome to the party [grin]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:
I am looking for a intermediate-advanced book focused at Direct3D that cover all the major topics including shading languages. I have some 3d math background and experience with OpenGL.

Just to extend on jollyjeffers's kind reply. I'd say what has helped me the most was to delve into the rendering pipeline and pull it apart. With that knowledge you will learn shaders very quickly and you can more or less judge what you need and when you need it. With that and the DirectX SDK documentation is just invaluable. Just read the SDK docs and ask alot of questions. The kind people on this forum are proffesional and the speed at which they reply is just awesome. Also make sure that you read the Forum FAQ.

Quote:
I am new to this forum but I expect to visit it frequently and contribute to it.

Welcome buddy, It's nice to see some more people joining and get interested and enthusiastic about Game/Graphics development. :) Just remember that having a good time is the most important part of development and the fun you have while talking to the proffesionals and other people on this forum

I hope this helps.
Take care.
I liked the book 3d game engine programming.
http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=421
Insufficent Information: we need more infromationhttp://staff.samods.org/aiursrage2k/
i read Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9, its great, i cant tell u how much its advanced, but u should check table of contents on amazon and see if u know theat stuf allready
A lot of D3D8 seems to be easily convertible to D3D9.

I found Realtime Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX to be a very balanced introduction, with minimal conversion to D3D9 problems.

The book teaches you a well-rounded approach to shader assembly. If a high-level shader language is what you're looking for, this book can still be used to perform assembly optimizations on compiled high-level shader code.
Hello again,

Thank you for your advices. I will take into account every one of them. Now mr. Amazon is awaiting for me...
///////////////////////////// Good luck, // // you will need it! /////////////////////////////Chema

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement