Linux C++ Using Emacs -- Need compiler

Started by
13 comments, last by abdulla 18 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by RichardS
As someone who uses emacs a lot, ... then the advantages of a console editor diminish a bit.

I highly suggest you start out using a GUI editor ...

Well, emacs is a GUI editor..

Quote:Original post by nethackpro
And I couldn't help but notice you are only using cout. It's good practice to using namespace std that way you have access to all the iostream functions.

this is necessarily not true, why "include" the whole namespace when you only need one function?

/Nico
Advertisement
Emacs isn't always a GUI editor... You can run it in a console 'emacs -nw'.
I spent a few days reading and researching Emacs and yes it is a lot to get your head around I am very fond of it already so I'm sticking with it.

Gcc, G++ -- boy did that cause me a problem. None of my C++ Apps would compile, they where spitting out pounds of incomprehensible errors... I switched to g++ and it worked.

My compiler of choice is Intels C++ Compiler for Linux (9.0).

Automake, I couldn't get it to work, apparently it needs some configure.ac file or something???
This makefile stuff seems more than I want to learn right now, I did manage to write a basic makefile to compile a one file project :) I do believe I can take that and use it for any number of files. I'll read that tutorial posted below and see how far it takes me.

3) self-generating, dependency-accurate, non-recursive cross-project make

I'd like that :)

Also, what sort of measures must I take to ensure simply deployability of my end-project across multiple linux distro's?

Thanks,
Halsafar
Quote:Original post by Halsafar
Also, what sort of measures must I take to ensure simply deployability of my end-project across multiple linux distro's?

Start by using the compiler included with just about every Linux distribution. At the very least ensure that your programs compile with gcc. Then you can handle multiple compilers with make and friends.
For a simple introduction to the wonderful world of autotools (automake and friends), check out:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/autotools.txt

It had enough to get me started using it. If thats not enough (or your just a masochist), you can check out the autotools book:
http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/
I'd highly recommend learning to use SCons. It's a lot easier than plain Make, its scripts are a lot simpler, and it can do a lot more. All its build scripts are in Python, so you can do anything you'd do in normal Python.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement