[web] Interfacing Flash with JAVA/C++

Started by
7 comments, last by LizardCPP 18 years, 5 months ago
Hey I'm looking for information on how to get Macromedia Flash to talk with C++ or JAVA. I have heard that this is possible. I'm currently gooling the subject but are having trubble finding a good source on how to do this. What I'm trying to do is to have game logic in c++/Java and then only the graphics/presenting layer in flash. thanks Lizard
Advertisement
For C++ you might want to look up gameswf.
What I'm looking for is to run a swf file as normal in macromedia flash player in a browser. But it should be able to talk with c++/JAVA code for game logic.
gameswf seams to be a parser and renderer of swf files, intressting but nort really what I'm looking for.

Lizard
What you're probably looking for is something like Multidmedia Zinc. That's an executable wrapper for the Flash player that lets you do things like merge DLL's into your executable and call the code in 'em from Flash.

Other than that, there's not a real Flash-only based solution for that. Flash is designed to be a thing that runs in its own sandbox to prevent malicious Flash movies from hurting your machine, so there's no Macromedia-blessed method for breaking out of that.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Thnaks that was intresting.

Anyway I found information that since Flash is implemented as a activeX component on windows one can intreact with it through fscommand().

Lizard
Also check out Screenweaver. It's much easier than embedding Flash into a C++ helper-app and managing the communication between 'em. And it's free.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

you do know what actionscript is, right?
I once had to implement flash talking to c# and also asp.net pages.. and I used fscommand and listeners in flash and caught the fscommand event that the activeX component throws.

Was quite easy.
Quote:Original post by Saruman
I once had to implement flash talking to c# and also asp.net pages.. and I used fscommand and listeners in flash and caught the fscommand event that the activeX component throws.

Was quite easy.

Yes, I was on this track to but since ActiveX is a Microsoft technology this would mean only windows. So I'm looking fior a more cross platform solution. I have found that actionscript can communicate with &#106avascript (<a href="http://osflash.org/flashjs">link</a>). And an applet can also call &#106avascript and be called from &#106avascript according to sources. Right now I'm having problems calling &#106avascript from an applet (see my other <a href="http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=357633"> thread </a>). <br><br>Edit: Solved the part about calling &#106avascript from an Applet.<br><br>Lizard<br><br><!--EDIT--><span class=editedby><!--/EDIT-->[Edited by - LizardCPP on November 13, 2005 3:52:37 AM]<!--EDIT--></span><!--/EDIT-->

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement