Sign in to follow this  
choffstein

Yet another assembly question...

Owning a G4 Powerbook, learning x86 assembly is kind of out of the question. So I figured PPC assembly would be the way, but I really can't find any good resources -- and the things I do find are so thick, I can't get into them. The concept assembly makes sense to me, but I can't write anything interesting. So I hear 68k assembly is pretty cool, and you can write some fun stuff with it -- infact, I believe my ppc can emulate 68k applications -- but I can't find any development environments or assemblers (would it be possible for me to do a seperate gcc build for 68k?). So I said, well, arm thumb could be cool with the GBA and all -- but I would prefer to have the actual hardware (I have a linker cable, but it works with my PC, not my mac). So I found a book, called "Newnes Power PC Programming Pocket Book." It has two reviews, and they are pretty good. Does anyone have any other resources before I drop for this (well, at least try to find it in a library?) Anyone know any 68k resources for MacOSX? Google didn't help too much. Thanks

Well, one resource for learning PowerPC assembly would be gcc. Write a C or C++ program and feed it the -S flag, and it should spit out an assembly listing for your C or C++ code. You can learn a lot just by seeing what constructs the compiler builds for your code.

Quote:
Original post by visage
Owning a G4 Powerbook, learning x86 assembly is kind of out of the question. So I figured PPC assembly would be the way, but I really can't find any good resources -- and the things I do find are so thick, I can't get into them. The concept assembly makes sense to me, but I can't write anything interesting.

x86 assembly isn't out of the question. You could always download Bochs or QEMU. There are also a ton of other hardware emulators available as well.

If you're interested in computer architecture in general, you could write software in C or assembly that you can run under Open Firmware on your PowerBook. You would have very low-level access to hardware, and could play around with making your own toy OS.

Quote:
So I hear 68k assembly is pretty cool, and you can write some fun stuff with it -- infact, I believe my ppc can emulate 68k applications -- but I can't find any development environments or assemblers (would it be possible for me to do a seperate gcc build for 68k?). So I said, well, arm thumb could be cool with the GBA and all -- but I would prefer to have the actual hardware (I have a linker cable, but it works with my PC, not my mac).

There's not much you can do in 68k assembly that you can't do in PPC assembly.

It's relatively easy to build a cross-compiler. Just grab the GCC source and build with the target option. Make sure you specify a program prefix as well (i.e. i386-elf-).