New Here

Started by
7 comments, last by Jamison 18 years, 5 months ago
Hey everybody, Glad to be part of the GD.Net Community! I've been a "student" in game development for about 3 to 4 years now. I don't make many games, as I'm so bad at graphics you can't even imagine. But that doesn't stop me from testing new techniques I think of. My language I use is ActionScript (a.k.a. Flash). But I'm thinking of migrating over to Allegro, seems very worth while - but not sure about the process it will take to migrate from Flash to Allegro. Anyway, great community you guys run here and I'm glad to finally be a part of it! Check my website (http://www.gonavitch.info) to see some of my old &#106avascript game dev. I used to do (till I switched to Flash). Regards, Jamison
Advertisement
Welcome!

I am just starting in game programming (only a few months) and use C and C++, I also am learning allegro but don't know to much so far.
To Servant of the Lord:
Wow, only a few months and your into C, C++. Do you do full GUI games or just console? As I do know console based C/C++ programming (vaguely).
Quote:Original post by Jamison
To Servant of the Lord:
Wow, only a few months and your into C, C++. Do you do full GUI games or just console? As I do know console based C/C++ programming (vaguely).

I skipped to C & C++ actaully;[smile] they are my first programming laugages.

I am afraid I gave you the wrong impression, I am a bottom line begininer. I just started and am currently working my way through 'Game Programming All in One' *2nd Edition*. I am only a eighth of the way through the book because of the trouble of installation and other things. (Luckily I now have GDnet for help)

I am way behind most people in prog. skills and even farther in game programming. The only game I have made as of yet was a 'Guess the number' kind of thing. Basicly: I am barely past the beggining of anything.

I do plan on learning OpenGL in a few months (in January hopefully), and will try and make a actual game, (with graphics) like pong or breakout, in a while - but now I am currently just learning basic non-game programming from the afor mentioned title and 'C++ for Dummies'.
Quote:Original post by Servant of the Lord
To Servant of the Lord:

I skipped to C & C++ actaully;[smile] they are my first programming laugages.

I am afraid I gave you the wrong impression, I am a bottom line begininer. I just started and am currently working my way through 'Game Programming All in One' *2nd Edition*. I am only a eighth of the way through the book because of the trouble of installation and other things. (Luckily I now have GDnet for help)

I am way behind most people in prog. skills and even farther in game programming. The only game I have made as of yet was a 'Guess the number' kind of thing. Basicly: I am barely past the beggining of anything.

I do plan on learning OpenGL in a few months (in January hopefully), and will try and make a actual game, (with graphics) like pong or breakout, in a while - but now I am currently just learning basic non-game programming from the afor mentioned title and 'C++ for Dummies'.

Ah, I see now. Good luck to you on your game development adventure!
Ah, I see now. Good luck to you on your game development adventure!

You too, and if it dosn't offend you: God bless you. [cool]
You may know this already, but if not, it's important to realize before you start. Allegro is not a language. It's "a game programming library for C/C++ developers." So if you're going to use allegro, learn C++ first. Spend some time learning the language without trying to make any graphical output if you go this route. Personally, I started out with C++, and then made an effort to learn the math required to put a 3D engine together (keep in mind that I was around 11 at this time, so this was no easy task) and after struggling for a while, I got a couple of things going (rotating polygons, simple raycaster, etc. drawn with lines). At that point I discovered OpenGL and learned that (I found it a lot easier to understand and work with then most, simply because I already knew a lot of what was going on inside). Lately I've played around with irrlicht and I'm impressed with how easy it is to get things working. I'm still glad I didn't start using it or anything like it, though, because it's been extremely valuable to know what's going on inside when things don't work quite the way they're supposed to, not to mention that it's vital if you ever want to do something that the engine doesn't do the way you want on its own.

Anyway, I'm 16 now, and I consider my self reasonably good at what I'm doing. I took quite a unique path to learning though, since my parents do not program and when I started I was too young for any formalized learning to take me seriously.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
C/C++ was my very first programming language, lol, although i didn't know it was C, or even that it was programming at the time. I was just learning to script modes for this game for fun and it just so happened that mods for the game were scripted in C++.
If it's possible for us to conceive it, than it must be possible.
Quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
You may know this already, but if not, it's important to realize before you start. Allegro is not a language. It's "a game programming library for C/C++ developers." So if you're going to use allegro, learn C++ first. Spend some time learning the language without trying to make any graphical output if you go this route. Personally, I started out with C++, and then made an effort to learn the math required to put a 3D engine together (keep in mind that I was around 11 at this time, so this was no easy task) and after struggling for a while, I got a couple of things going (rotating polygons, simple raycaster, etc. drawn with lines). At that point I discovered OpenGL and learned that (I found it a lot easier to understand and work with then most, simply because I already knew a lot of what was going on inside). Lately I've played around with irrlicht and I'm impressed with how easy it is to get things working. I'm still glad I didn't start using it or anything like it, though, because it's been extremely valuable to know what's going on inside when things don't work quite the way they're supposed to, not to mention that it's vital if you ever want to do something that the engine doesn't do the way you want on its own.

Anyway, I'm 16 now, and I consider my self reasonably good at what I'm doing. I took quite a unique path to learning though, since my parents do not program and when I started I was too young for any formalized learning to take me seriously.

I knew Allegro was a C/C++ library - and I know quite a bit of C/C++ (little vaguely though, getting up-to-date with it won't take long), so I guess it won't be so hard learning.

I started when I was very young too (I'm 15 now, so I started when I was around 11).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement