Sign in to follow this  
zike22

ATB strategy game

zike22    163
Let me just get it out of the way, I love turn based strategy games, now im gonna be honest, i haven't played too many on the PC, mostly just indies and stuff. Playing Advance Wars in 8th grade with my friends makes up about 50% of my memories of the year 2003. Im always wanting to bring that back, but we go to separate schools and what not. Now let me get to my point, the internet...however I just don't see large turn based games happening unless were really really hardcore about it (Which is why we played on handheld...and only finished about 5 full games All Year). So I was thinking about transforming the turn based play battle into ATB (active time battle) form. That's how it worked in FF7, and it worked damn well too, i think it would be a perfect transaction. But I do see some issues like massive micro-management issues if the system isn't fine tuned. Let me get you 2 cents on this, I had this idea in my head for some time now.

Dragoncar    517
I think this could work, if you keep the number of units you have to control down. I would suggest that you wouldn't have any production involved and just have small numbers of units per player which are choosen at the start of the battle.

xycos    146
Yes, if it was done Advance Wars style, it might be able to comine the best of turn-basded and real-time. Just think: "what can I do with this game style that I can't in real-time?" Otherwise, you'll just be making turn-based a bit more hectic.