Sign in to follow this  

C++ return value question

This topic is 4414 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In C++: I have an array of objects of type X. In function F, i have to loop through the array and try to find an object that has a member that matches the parameter. If i found it, then return that object. my question is, what do i return if i can't find the object? In java.. you can just return null.. but i don't know what to return in C++. I tried to return NULL.. but that doesnt seem to work. so my function would be like X &Find_Object(String name); Thanks in advance.

So if you have a reference, the idea is that the reference is never "invalid", which in this case is NULL.

If you want to describe returning a value that can be invalid, try using a pointer, and returning NULL.

T* find(something)

In java, everything is a pointer, basically, so you can have that. In C++ you gotta explicitly use a pointer.

The C++ Standard library containers handle it by having their find() functions return an iterator and then return the end() iterator on failure.

You could also return something like a std::pair holding a bool and a reference. Return true and a reference to the correct element if the function suceeds, return false and a reference to a dummy object if it fails.

Options:

1) References. Throw an exception if you can't find it (see std::vector::at)
2) Pointers. Set to NULL if you can't find it (see C library?)
3) Iterators. Set to .end() if you can't find it (see std::find)
4) Value. Set to something indicating "invalid" (see C file i/o API)
5) std::pair< value , bool > (see std::set/map::insert)
6) boost::optional< value > (see boost.org)
7) Value. Set a value such that GetMyAPIsLastError will return something. (see C library)

Quote:
Original post by choboNo1
In C++:

so my function would be like

X &Find_Object(String name);

Use the standard library generic algorithms, in particular std::find/find_if yes you can use them with C-style arrays but if you need a dynamic array you should be using std::vector/deque e.g.

#include <algorithm> //find_if
#include <vector>
#include <string>

struct foo {
std::string s;
//.....
};
//....

struct foo_by_str {

const std::string& key;

foo_by_str(const std::string& s): key(s) {}

bool operator()(const foo& f) const {
return key == f.s;
}
};

int main() {

typedef std::vector<foo> foos;

foos fs;

//.....

std::string key = .....;

foos::const_iterator result
= std::find_if(fs.begin(), fs.end(), foo_by_str(key));

if(result != foos.end())
// then a match was found
else
// no match was found

//....
}

Last thing don't try to use C++ like Java, things work differently in the two, have different idioms and techniques, you will only be using C++ ineffectively if you do.

This topic is 4414 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.