Sign in to follow this  
Tischnoetentoet

C# + Some directdraw questions

Hi all, I am developing a graphics engine using DirectDraw and C#. It is working very nice, but I have a few questions: 1) I have a big island with some bugs. I want them to rotate. How can I rotate a bitmap surface? 2) My graphics engine is able to resize and draw everything in the right size. However, when I am using large images which are getting very small, it looks very ugly. (wrong, as it should be). Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks!

Muhammad Haggag    1358
Quote:
Original post by Tischnoetentoet
1) I have a big island with some bugs. I want them to rotate. How can I rotate a bitmap surface?

In DirectDraw, you can't. You have to rotate a virtual quad, and write a texture mapper that locks the target surface and maps the bmp into it. Basically, a mini -software-rasterizer.

Quote:
2) My graphics engine is able to resize and draw everything in the right size. However, when I am using large images which are getting very small, it looks very ugly. (wrong, as it should be). Is there anything I can do about this?

Make the original bitmap small in size. In general, a 2D asset should have a size the same as or near to the one it has in game.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply! Too bad that option 1) is not possible in directdraw.

I have one question left. I am using this code

// Create our destination rectangle
pntTarget = m_oRenderTarget.PointToScreen(m_oRenderTarget.Location);
oDestRect = new Rectangle(pntTarget, m_oRenderTarget.Size);

// Try to draw
try
{
m_oSurfacePrimary.Draw(oDestRect, m_oSurfaceSecondary, DrawFlags.DoNotWait);
}
catch (SurfaceLostException)
{
// Create the surfaces
CreateSurfaces();
}

The strange thing is that the destrect function is failing. When I don't use the destrect, everything works, but when using destrect, the surface is not drawn in the rectangle I want it to be.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

[Edited by - Muhammad Haggag on November 12, 2005 10:09:42 PM]