Sign in to follow this  
ZeRaW

USB interface C/C++ programming

Well, i have this project to make the interface of communication between a USB RC Plane remote control and a PC. I know that the remote comes with a driver and guidelines suc byte offsets for each usb command sent. now i heard that usb programming is similiar to network programming (and i am good in that). so all i need is some guidelines from people who already have developped some application that communicates with a USB device so i can begin my project, thank you.

You can open ports using fopen(), but as to how you use this to communicate with devices, I have no idea. I tried fiddling with my modem once when I got bored but I didn't have any success (other than getting the port open). I kinda hope somebody else comes along with a decent reply...

You can communicate with the driver through DeviceIoControl. You should have a header file for the driver containing some defines starting with IOCTL_*.

Otherwise you are screwed... :-)

I have done this some time ago, not really rocket science but ugly function calls, so create a small class for it. If have you further questions...

Quote:
Original post by Gorax
You can open ports using fopen(), but as to how you use this to communicate with devices, I have no idea. I tried fiddling with my modem once when I got bored but I didn't have any success (other than getting the port open). I kinda hope somebody else comes along with a decent reply...

Yeah, be careful with that. I once crashed my optical mouse using 'fopen' and reading data from it. I printed out in hex, whatever I read, and after about a minute, the mouse light would go off, and even if I shut down the program, I'd have to restart the comp to get it working again. [smile]

well while researching i cam across this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/coding4fun/someassemblyrequired/isthatyou/default.aspx

it started as being very helpful and i was porting it to C,
then i found out i need hid.lib & "hidsdi.h" to use functions such as "HidD_GetHidGuid" and these come with windows device Kit (WDK & DDK) which need to be ordered from microsoft thus iam stuck , i will try other methods such as CreateFile and fopen altho this will be the 1st time i use them for communicating with USB i ll check DeviceIoControl too , Thank you for the info.