It's so hard to find something useful

Started by
6 comments, last by DenJer 18 years, 5 months ago
Hi, guys. I'm a newbie, and I'm from Russia (but I know english not bad). It's so hard to find something useful about game programming, because only few books are translated from english to russian. I badly know C++, and ask you to help me find some useful literature. I bought "Tricks of the game programming gurus", but a lot of people write that it is the worthiest book to learn. Please tell me from what I must begin (I read this -- http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/), and what is the difference between Direct3D and OpenGL. Thank you.
Advertisement
Direct3D & OpenGL
2Konfusius:
Thank you. Very interesting

But I want to correct my thread.
I want to hear from you answers on two main questions, please:
1. From what did YOU begin to study game programming.
2. And what skill level did you rich (describe the best game you made by yourself, please)
And also can you tell me what is SDL. I never heard about it, do I need to learn it to code games?

Sorry for bad english. Thank you.
Zdrastvooeetye... Ya gavaryoo pa-rooskie plocha ;)

But seriously, welcome :) I'd look on Amazon.com for some C++ books, you say you don't know C++ too well, I'd work on that before you get farther into game programming.
SDL is a simple API.

it is designed to do things such as create a winow on screen, handle mouse clicks and key presses and also sound and 2D drawing.

it can be used alongside openGL (and with a bit of work, directX) to do everything except the drawing.

you dont need it to code games.

what it will do is give you an easy way to

create a window.
load an image from disk.
draw the image on the screen.
move the image with keypresses.

these are the basics for any game.

you can use many other tools to do the same, but they may not be so easy.

don't worry about your english. if we can make any sense of it at all we'll help you. your english is far better than my attempt at any other language :)

good luck
Or you could try creating games i Java. These will have poor performance compared to C++ games, but it's far easier to begin with. You could just use the standard Java API to create the window, load graphics etc, and instead concentrate on the generic methods on game mecanics (meaning the part of your game code that will apply to all languages). Just google for "game programming java" and you'll a lot of stuff. There's a lot of good books about this too (check Amazon).
Quote:1. From what did YOU begin to study game programming.
I've learnt all of my knowledge on my own. Whether that be through books, online tutorials or modification of source-code.

Quote:2. And what skill level did you rich (describe the best game you made by yourself, please)
The most advanced game I've worked on is Midnight Manhattan. It's a 3D RTS/Action game. You can view it on the projects page of my site.

Quote:And also can you tell me what is SDL. I never heard about it, do I need to learn it to code games?
SDL is a library designed to make 2D game development much easier. Check it out here.

Best of luck to you!
Oh, thank you all for help!
You know, you are more friendly than people at russian forums! I asked the same question on our russian gamedev.ru, on what I got a lot of bad replies, such as: "What a stupid question.", "Go away and do not come untill you can make a 3D game. This forum is only for profies"...
You helped me a lot, see ya later.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement