Role of a Animator ?

Started by
1 comment, last by superpig 18 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I have been programming for a few months now. I can now comprehend the amount of effort required from the programming perspective. For ex , the diffrent "specializations" involved in the procedure Ai , sound , graphics , networking. Basically i now have a fair idea of each of the roles the programmer. A aspect which i am not informed about is animation. What does a animator in a game developement team do ? Only faint idea i have is crafting and carving levels in a 3D editing software like 3D studio max and designing characters. A naive question , but i would like to know some resposibilities assigned to that particular team. I would also like to get started on the same , atleast get a basic working knowledge of the system . Professional software like Max/Maya would more than burn a hole in my pocket , so are there any Free/ Trial versions out there that could give me a taste of the feild? Thanks.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943
Advertisement
www.Blender3D.org is a free and open source 3D modeling program. An animator gives objects motion. When you're playing a first person shooter and you see guys running around, somebody has to create animation files that tell the video game what a guy running looks like. Positions of the joints in the model, etc. When you run the video game uses this file to display motions. There are also 2D animators who make simple images like a blast from a gun.
Quote:Original post by Nokturnal
Professional software like Max/Maya would more than burn a hole in my pocket , so are there any Free/ Trial versions out there that could give me a taste of the feild?

Maya PLE

The animator's job is basically to oversee - from an artistic point of view - the way the game or some part of the game moves on-screen. Things like the walls and floors tend not to move, so she doesn't usually have to deal with them, but characters, machines, cutscenes, menu effects... these may all be her domain. You usually see more than one animator on a project, so they divide the work up.

The animator exercises her control over the project's movement either directly - using tools like Max and Maya - or indirectly, liasing with (usually) the programmers to tweak the project at a code level.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement