Problem with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005

Started by
8 comments, last by bakery2k1 18 years, 5 months ago
I just downloaded it and I am able to use it but after a while it just resets my machine for no reason. It doesn't matter whether I'm writing code or playing around with the Form designer thingy it just resets my machine after a while using it. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix this? It's very frostrating.
Advertisement
I assume you are using Windows XP.

Go to "System Properties" (Control Panel->System) and select the "Advanced" tab. Then click on "Settings" under "Startup and Recovery" and *deselect* "Automatically restart"

The next time VS crashes, you may get a blue screen. Describe what is on that screen.

[edit] Of course, it might be best to go through Microsoft's support channels

jfl.
Is it the express one that you can download for free?

If it is, then maybe it's from your system. I tried it for a while, but it didnt reset my system. I just erased it after a while because of it's confusing interface.
Yes its the express one for c# and I'm using Windows XP.

I will try disabling the Automatic restart option and post results later.
If your system is set to automatically restart on a "serious error", you can still retrieve what would have been on the blue screen. Look in the event log (Right-click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, System) for events marked "Type - Error", "Source - System Error", and you should be able to get an error code.

Are there any of these events for you? What error codes do they have?
Quote:Original post by bakery2k1
If your system is set to automatically restart on a "serious error", you can still retrieve what would have been on the blue screen. Look in the event log (Right-click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, System) for events marked "Type - Error", "Source - System Error", and you should be able to get an error code.

Are there any of these events for you? What error codes do they have?

I don't know because there are a bunch of errors in there, last one I have its this one

Event ID: 1003
Category (102)
Error code: 1000000a, parameter1 fffffffc, parameter2 000000ff, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 80540f9f.

No clue what that means though :)
Wierd.. that's an active directory DB error.. I've only ever come across that once and it wasn't using XP.
It could be a driver issue. Have you installed drivers recently (possibly beta)? [edit]Inversely, have you not updated your drivers in a while?[/edit] Take a look at Q316434. It could also be an actual hardware problem.

It could also be a memory problem (hardware). Run Memtest86+.

jfl.
Quote:Original post by jflanglois
It could be a driver issue. Have you installed drivers recently (possibly beta)? [edit]Inversely, have you not updated your drivers in a while?[/edit] Take a look at Q316434. It could also be an actual hardware problem.

It could also be a memory problem (hardware). Run Memtest86+.

jfl.

This comp is about two months old, only thing I've replaced so far is the graphics card because I was using the on-board card which was pretty much crap. I replaced it with an nvidia GeForce 7800 GT, I take it maybe the card's drivers are the issue?
Quote:Original post by Saruman
Wierd.. that's an active directory DB error.. I've only ever come across that once and it wasn't using XP.

What makes you think this?

Error code 0x1000000a is tha same as 0x0000000a: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Quote:
The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value of 0x0000000A. This indicates that Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

The parameters are:

1: Memory referenced (address 0xfffffffc)
2: IRQL at time of reference (0x000000ff - invalid?)
3: 0 = Read, 1 = Write (1)
4: Address which referenced memory (0x80540f9f)

i.e, some kernel mode component tried to write to address 0xfffffffc and incurred a page fault at a high IRQL.

This means it is almost certainly a problem with a driver, but you'll need the kernel debugger to find out which one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement