Sign in to follow this  
janeirik

Where should i go from here?

janeirik    122
Hey, I'm just done reading "Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson". So my queststion now is where should I go from here? Any ideas for books that will bring my programming skills one step further? janeirik

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
What do you want to learn? I find learning a language for the sake of it a little dry. Think of a project you would like to implement, and see what you need to do for that.

nullsquared    126
The book covers up to inheritance and polymorphism(including). I actually read that book too, and I thought the same thing. From then I mailed the author and he said I should try SDL for a graphics API and he said that 'FOCUS ON SDL' was a good book to go on too. Another thing he said was 'Thinking in C++', and htat there was an online version...which I never got to work, it was weird.(if anyone used the online verison, any help)

rip-off    10976
Quote:
Original post by janeirik
Hey,

I'm just done reading "Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson". So my queststion now is where should I go from here? Any ideas for books that will bring my programming skills one step further?

janeirik

make a game!

apply that knowledge and so forth. does that book cover any APIs like openGL, directX or other?

what level of c++ are you at?

Binary1010    103
Just to let you all know, the book only covers console app making. The next thing you should do is learn the basics of an API. For DirectX, I'd recommened Beginning Game Programming by John Harbour. For OpenGL, go with Beginning OpenGL Game Programming by Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins. I don't use OGL, but I've heard it's really good (right Myopic Rhino???).

rip-off    10976
Quote:
Original post by Binary1010
Just to let you all know, the book only covers console app making. The next thing you should do is learn the basics of an API. For DirectX, I'd recommened Beginning Game Programming by John Harbour. For OpenGL, go with Beginning OpenGL Game Programming by Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins. I don't use OGL, but I've heard it's really good (right Myopic Rhino???).

openGL is good but all it does is 3D. you'll need something to set up a window and accept input. i like SDL (www.libsdl.org). you can use OS specific stuff if you want (win32 api) but i wouldnt...

good luck!

rudeness    144
Beginning OpenGL Game Programming by Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins is excellent. It's the best way to continue i think. It is important to see some graphical products of your programming - keeps the programming morale high ^.^

eektor    182
I read that book to start with too. I ended up buying Accelerated C++ to learn more about C++. After that I did the SDL Tutorials from lazy foo and now I'm working on Pong. Well that's what I did and it seems like its going ok so far.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Thanks for all the help. I picked up "Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming in 24 hours" at the school libary today. It covers some basic windows programming, creating a basic game engine and some examples of a few simple 2D games.

I still haven't desided if im going to start with directx or opengl tho. Any Recommendations ?

nullsquared    126
Well... it depends.

If you are going to use the windows api or SDL, use OpenGL. This is because OpenGL does only graphics, nothing else. I personally think that SDL with OpenGL is a great combination, but that's my opinion. However, if you are going to use directx, that means you can use it's music, 3d (direct3d I think is pretty much like opengl), and everything else you might need.

The choice is up to you. Again, I prefer OpenGL because from what I've seen it's much much easier to get up and running rather than direct3d.... but that's only my opinion. I suggest you just try each one out if you want...

Oh yeah, one more thing to mention. OpenGL is cross-platform. Directx is windows-only.

Good luck!