Where should i go from here?

Started by
11 comments, last by nullsquared 18 years, 5 months ago
Hey, I'm just done reading "Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson". So my queststion now is where should I go from here? Any ideas for books that will bring my programming skills one step further? janeirik
Advertisement
What did that book cover?
Dev Journal - Ride the Spiralhttp://spiralride.blogspot.com/
What do you want to learn? I find learning a language for the sake of it a little dry. Think of a project you would like to implement, and see what you need to do for that.
The book covers up to inheritance and polymorphism(including). I actually read that book too, and I thought the same thing. From then I mailed the author and he said I should try SDL for a graphics API and he said that 'FOCUS ON SDL' was a good book to go on too. Another thing he said was 'Thinking in C++', and htat there was an online version...which I never got to work, it was weird.(if anyone used the online verison, any help)
Quote:Original post by janeirik
Hey,

I'm just done reading "Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson". So my queststion now is where should I go from here? Any ideas for books that will bring my programming skills one step further?

janeirik

make a game!

apply that knowledge and so forth. does that book cover any APIs like openGL, directX or other?

what level of c++ are you at?
Couldn't get to work? They are simple .zip archives of HTML pages....
For reference, here is the link to the free Bruce Eckel eBooks...

Python Criticial Mass
Just had to post that. [smile]
Just to let you all know, the book only covers console app making. The next thing you should do is learn the basics of an API. For DirectX, I'd recommened Beginning Game Programming by John Harbour. For OpenGL, go with Beginning OpenGL Game Programming by Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins. I don't use OGL, but I've heard it's really good (right Myopic Rhino???).
Quote:Original post by Binary1010
Just to let you all know, the book only covers console app making. The next thing you should do is learn the basics of an API. For DirectX, I'd recommened Beginning Game Programming by John Harbour. For OpenGL, go with Beginning OpenGL Game Programming by Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins. I don't use OGL, but I've heard it's really good (right Myopic Rhino???).

openGL is good but all it does is 3D. you'll need something to set up a window and accept input. i like SDL (www.libsdl.org). you can use OS specific stuff if you want (win32 api) but i wouldnt...

good luck!
Beginning OpenGL Game Programming by Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins is excellent. It's the best way to continue i think. It is important to see some graphical products of your programming - keeps the programming morale high ^.^
I read that book to start with too. I ended up buying Accelerated C++ to learn more about C++. After that I did the SDL Tutorials from lazy foo and now I'm working on Pong. Well that's what I did and it seems like its going ok so far.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement