[web] Installing ASP.NET applications to a remote server

Started by
9 comments, last by Binary1010 18 years, 5 months ago
As far as I can tell, the Web Setup project in VS2005 (it's also in VS2003) is used for installing ASP.NET applications, rather than juts copying the files up to a web server. However, the Web Setup project always attempts to install the application on my PC; is there any way I can make it install to a remote web server?
Advertisement
ASPNET applications do not really need "installing". That is one of the good things.

I just use a batch file to copy the relevant files to a staging directory (by file type, i.e. without .cs etc), then copy from there into the web server.

Mark
I know they don't have to be installed, but I want to re-distribute my BBS, written in ASP.NET, without giving away the source code. Any way I can do this?
EDIT: And if Web Setup projects aren't for installing ASP.NET applications, what are they for?
Web Setup projects are for complex installations. Basic ASP.NET applications do not really *need* them. XCopy deployment will suffice.

VS2k5 has a publish feature that allows you to deploy to a remote server over a variety of transport mediums including ftp. Be careful though. Whatever directory you publish to should only contain files that are in your solution explorer, any other files will be deleted. I noticed this when I published to my wwwroot directory =/

XCopy deployment will result in the same thing that a Web Setup project does. Your source files aren't meant to be placed on the target machine. You just place the aspx pages, config files, and the DLLs in the bin directory.

Ignoring the fact that my web server was deleted and I needed to restore my wwwroot directory, the publishing option is pretty cool :)

~Graham
XCopy will work fine for me, but I want to redistribute my compiled application, without giving away the source code. Is this just impossible? I think ToastForums does it because you have to pay for their BB...
You don't need to deploy the source code to the production server. In fact I never do so. I use xcopy32 to copy various types of files into a staging directory.

I do this by filename extension, including .dll (assemblies built in vs.net) but excluding source code (.cs) files.

Mark
So I have to give away my .aspx files no matter what? Most of the main code, it seems like, is in the .aspx file... my goal is to make a BBS available to the public written in ASP.NET while keeping as much source code hidden as possible.
Quote:Original post by Binary1010
So I have to give away my .aspx files no matter what? Most of the main code, it seems like, is in the .aspx file.

You should have used code-behind files.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
Quote:Original post by igni ferroque
So I have to give away my .aspx files no matter what? Most of the main code, it seems like, is in the .aspx file.

You should have used code-behind files.

Not exactly sure what code-behind is, but I'll look into it... but even then, wouldn't I still have to distribute every single file, thus making all source code available?
EDIT: OK, new question: Once ASP.NET files have been compiled, can they run without the .cs files?
OK, new question: Once ASP.NET files have been compiled, can they run without the .cs files?

The aspx and ascx files do not get compiled (or at least, not ahead of time).

What you do is you write a "Code Behind" class, which is a class which *is* compiled ahead of time. The ASPNET system then builds the aspx file into another class which extends that class.

When you do "build" in vs.net it takes all your codebehind files, and builds them into an assembly (called a .DLL file but not the same as a win32 DLL) which is placed in /bin. At runtime, ASPNET loads this.

You can also write any other classes you want to (for example, utilities etc) and the compiler will build them into the same assembly.

Normal practice dictates that there should be no logic, and typically very little code, in the aspx files themselves.

Mark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement